Subject: [nfsv4] WG charter update - draft

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:59:21 +0000

Below is draft language for our charter update.
Before I pass this along to our AD, please review and
provide comments.  I plan on forwarding this along
at the end of this week.

Spencer

---

Charter

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard for file sharing. To maintain NFS
Version 4's utility and currency, the working group is chartered to
maintain the existing NFSv4, NFSv4.1, Federated Namespace, and
related specifications. The working group will also consider new
a NFSv4 minor version in the form of NFSv4.2 and supporting 
protocols. Finally, best practices will be formed for deployment 
for the NFSv4 FedFS implementations and their interaction with
integration with new user authentication models.

Maintenance

The working group has found that as NFSv4 implementations mature and
deployments continue, clarifications to existing RFCs are needed.
These clarifications assist vendors in delivering quality and 
interoperable implementations. The working group is chartered with
the vetting of the issues and determining correctness of submitted
errata.  In the case that the needed changes are inappropriate for
the errata system, the working group will assist in publication of
RFCs that provide either editorial modification to original RFCs
or best practices RFCs.  The completion of RFC3530bis is the first
work item.  RFCs expected to generate the most discussion or activity
are: RFC 5661, RFC 5662, RFC 5663, and RFC 5664.

RFC5664bis

The NFSv4.1 Objects Layout needs some additional clarification that is
planned for a bis update.  The working group will work final issues
and deliver an RFC for the clarifications.

NFSv4.2

For some time, the working group has been discussing the requirements
for the next NFSv4 minor version.  A consensus has formed within 
the working group for an NFSv4.2 that contains the following:

    - Server Side Copy
    - Sparse Files
    - Seek Hole/Data
    - Space Reservations
    - Application Data Blocks
    - Labeled NFS
    - Simple IO hinting (modeled from posix IO_ADVISE)
    - Change Attribute Behaviors

This is a succint set of functionality that can be effectively
documented as an "addition" to the base NFSv4.1 protocol (RFC 5661).
Two of the items in this list, Server Side Copy and Labeled NFS,
require a new version of the RPCSEC_GSS security abstraction layer.
Thus two documents will be developed by the working group.

NFSv4 Multi-Domain Access for FedFS

As NFSv4 FedFS deployment models are discussed/planned, a significant
issue related to conflicting user identification spaces exists.  User
identification collisions can occur when an NFSv4 server exports
non-domain aware POSIX file systems with separate name (NIS/LDAP)
services.  These collisions can block proper FedFS operation in large
corporations or Universities with multiple naming services, or in
being a solution to join NFS name spaces in corporate acquisitions or
across University domains.

To assist in resolving these issues, the working group will deliver
three items.

First, there are a number of constraints and clarifications to the
current NFSv4.0 and NFSv4.1 protocols to fully enable cross domain
FedFS.

Second, there is a best practices deliverable describing methods to
work around the common current situation of non-domain aware POSIX
file systems, and in managing naming services to cooperate in
resolving remote domain POSIX UIDs and GIDs for remote user file
access.

Third, we need to track the new work in the GSS-API authentication and
authorization space (KRB WG, KITTEN WG, ABFAB WG) to ensure NFS can
take advantage of the new features that address cross domain
authentication and authorization issues.

Goals and Milestones:

April 2012	Submit RFC3530bis to IESG
April 2012	WG Last Call for Labeled NFS Requirements
May 2012	Submit Labeled NFS Requirements to IESG
Jne 2012	Submit RFC5664bis to IESG
August 2012	WG Last Call NFSv4.2
September 2012	WG last Call for the two Multi-domain Access documents
October 2012	Submit NFSv4.2 to IESG

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:03:03 -0400

Typo: "consider new a NFSv4 minor version". 

Should look at "succinct set of functionality".   A description can be "succinct" but functionality might be "well-bounded" or "limited".  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Spencer Shepler
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] WG charter update - draft

Spencer

---

Charter

Maintenance

RFC5664bis

NFSv4.2

    - Server Side Copy
    - Sparse Files
    - Seek Hole/Data
    - Space Reservations

Goals and Milestones:

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4