Subject: [nfsv4] Question about errata for RFC 5661

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 11:04:49 +0200

Hi all,

David Black has filled 5 erratas for RFC 5661 which are about 
"[...]deprecate loca_offset and loca_length arguments to LAYOUTCOMMIT."

How are these errata meant?

Shall document updates of RFC 5661 deprecate loca_offset and loca_length 
arguments to LAYOUTCOMMIT?

Or is this a technical error in RFC 5661?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

   Martin

-- 
[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
Registered in England 283

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 01:36:43 -0400

Hi Martin,

> Any feedback is appreciated.

The intention was the former - document updates of RFC 5661 should
deprecate these fields.  RFC 5661 was correct at the time of publication,
but the WG has decided to change the design.  Errata 3067 contains the
primary design change - the other four errata remove mentions of those
fields or make related changes elsewhere in RFC 5661.

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Martin Stiemerling [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 5:05 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Black, David
> Subject: Question about errata for RFC 5661
> 
> Hi all,
>

---

From: Rick Macklem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 09:07:52 -0400 (EDT)

> fields or make related changes elsewhere in RFC 5661.
Ok, so if I understand this correctly, the loca_offset and loca_length
fields are being ignored by servers? (At this point, I am only doing
file layout, so I think Solaris is the only server that uses LAYOUTCOMMIT
for the file layout?)

I'm asking because my current client code does a separate LAYOUTCOMMIT for
each byte range segment, only because of the loca_offset, loca_length
fields and could be simplified if those arguments don't matter.

So, can I just do a LAYOUTCOMMIT with loca_offset == 0 and loca_length == UINT_MAX64
and only do one for the entire layout?

Thanks for any help with this, rick
ps: Since this client code may get released in a few months, I'm more concerned
    with what extant servers expect than what they will handle "down the road".

> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:53:15 +0200

Hi David,

> fields or make related changes elsewhere in RFC 5661.

Ok, so I will mark them all as 'Hold for Document Update'.

Thanks,

  Martin

---

From: Benny Halevy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:44:27 +0200

On 2012-10-04 15:07, Rick Macklem wrote:
> fields are being ignored by servers?

Coreect.

> (At this point, I am only doing

Close :)
The errata states the following:
   The loca_offset and loca_length arguments have been deprecated.  The
   client SHOULD set both loca_offset and loca_length to 0.

And yes, you can send one LAYOUTCOMMIT for the entire layout.

Benny