Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'Network File System (NFS) Version 4 External Data Representation Standard (XDR) Description' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-dot-x-24.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:17:35 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Network File System (NFS) Version 4 External Data Representation
   Standard (XDR) Description'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-dot-x-24.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-dot-x/

Technical Summary

The Network File System (NFS) version 4 is a distributed
filesystem protocol which owes heritage to NFS protocol
version 2, RFC 1094, and version 3, RFC 1813.  Unlike earlier
versions, the NFS version 4 protocol supports traditional file
access while integrating support for file locking and the
mount protocol.  In addition, support for strong security (and
its negotiation), compound operations, client caching, and
internationalization have been added.  Of course, attention
has been applied to making NFS version 4 operate well in an
Internet environment.

This document, together with the companion XDR description
document, RFCNFSv4XDR, replaces RFC 3530 as the definition of
the NFS version 4 protocol.

This document includes updates that address: reported errata,
clarifications related to implementation experience, and
expanded text included from other sources. 

Working Group Summary

These documents have been very non-controversial given the
nature of the included errata and the fact that most of the
document updates were drawn from the NFSv4.1 definition. 

Document Quality

The quality of this document is very high.  There are multiple
implementations of the mandatory features of the protocol and
at least one implementation covering most (if not all)
optional features.  The reason for doing the update was to
raise the overall quality through expanded explanatory text
and correcting ambiguities. 

Personnel

Document Shepherd is  Spencer Shepler ([email-masked]).
Responsible Area Director is Martin Stiemerling ([email-masked])

RFC Editor Note

   Please publish this draft (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-dot-x-24) and draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-35 together with subsequent RFC numbers.