Subject: [nfsv4] RFC 7569 on Registry Specification for Mandatory Access Control (MAC) Security Label Formats

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 22:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7569

        Title:      Registry Specification for Mandatory Access 
                    Control (MAC) Security Label Formats 
        Author:     D. Quigley, J. Lu, T. Haynes
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 22406
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nfsv4-lfs-registry-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7569

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7569

In the past, Mandatory Access Control (MAC) systems have used very
rigid policies that were implemented in particular protocols and
platforms.  As MAC systems become more widely deployed, additional
flexibility in mechanism and policy will be required.  While
traditional trusted systems implemented Multi-Level Security (MLS)
and integrity models, modern systems have expanded to include such
technologies as type enforcement.  Due to the wide range of policies
and mechanisms that need to be accommodated, it is unlikely that the
use of a single security label format and model will be viable.

To allow multiple MAC mechanisms and label formats to co-exist in a
network, this document creates a registry of label format
specifications.  This registry contains label format identifiers and
provides for the association of each such identifier with a
corresponding extensive document outlining the exact syntax and use
of the particular label format.

This document is a product of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC