Subject: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 08:17:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 of the IETF.

        Title           : File System Extended Attributes in NFSv4
        Authors         : Manoj Naik
                          Marc Eshel
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-02.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2016-03-07

Abstract:
   This document proposes extensions to the NFSv4 protocol which allow
   file extended attributes (hereinafter also referred to as xattrs) to
   be manipulated using NFSv4.  An xattr is a file system feature that
   allows opaque metadata, not interpreted by the file system, to be
   associated with files and directories.  Such support is present in
   many modern local file systems.  New file attributes are proposed to
   allow clients to query the server for xattr support, and new
   operations to get and set xattrs on file system objects are provided.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 13:05:44 -0500

> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-02

Remind me why we need cookie verifiers again? They don't even work as
advertised for the existing use cases.

Trond

---

From: "Marc Eshel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 15:51:21 -0800

We just tried to follow readdir interface, but I can not see any 
implementation that is using it. The Ganesha implementation for readdir is 
not using the cookie verifier and our xattr reference implementation with 
Ganesha server and Linux client is not using it. So if there is no 
objection we can remove the cookie verifier from the draft.
Marc.

From:   Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
To:     [email-masked]
Cc:     "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date:   03/08/2016 10:06 AM
Subject:        Re: [nfsv4] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nfsv4-xattrs-02.txt
Sent by:        "nfsv4" <[email-masked]>

Trond

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4