Subject: [nfsv4] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7530 (4639)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 03:50:49 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7530,
"Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7530&eid=4639

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Stephen Butler <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.9

Original Text
-------------
To provide a greater degree of compatibility with NFSv3, which
identified users and groups by 32-bit unsigned user identifiers and
group identifiers, owner and group strings that consist of ASCII-
encoded decimal numeric values with no leading zeros can be given a
special interpretation by clients and servers that choose to provide
such support.

Corrected Text
--------------
To provide a greater degree of compatibility with NFSv3, which
identified users and groups by 32-bit unsigned user identifiers and
group identifiers, owner and group strings that consist of UTF-8
encoded decimal numeric values with no leading zeros can be given a
special interpretation by clients and servers that choose to provide
such support.

Notes
-----
The start of section 5.9 says:

The RECOMMENDED attributes "owner" and "owner_group" (and also users
and groups used as values of the who field within nfs4ace structures
used in the acl attribute) are represented in the form of UTF-8
strings.

I believe in the case of the digits 0-9 the ASCII encoding is the same as the UTF-8 encoding but it may cause possible confusion by not maintaining consistency.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7530 (draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc3530bis-35)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Network File System (NFS) Version 4 Protocol
Publication Date    : March 2015
Author(s)           : T. Haynes, Ed., D. Noveck, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network File System Version 4
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG