Subject: [nfsv4] draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning-04, Sections 2 and 3

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 14:47:45 -0700

* Section 2

- The term "extensible minor version" is used in several places in the
  spec but I didn't see a definition anywhere.  The main thing I'd
  like to see clarified is that a minor version is extensible because
  the working group says it's extensible, as opposed to being
  something that is derived from the technical details of the version.
  I'd also include a cross-reference to Section 7.4.

- page 5, last paragraph

    In this document, the word "feature" is used , except in the case of

  Delete the extra space before the comma.

- page 5, last paragraph (spilling onto page 6): the last two
  sentences (both starting with "See Section 6") are a jumble.

- page 9, paragraph starting with "Each version variant", sentence
  starting with "For example": change "refer the" to "refer to the"

* Section 3

- The last sentence in the section would be clearer if broken in two:

    Future minor version specification documents should avoid
    specifying minor versioning rules.  Instead, they should reference
    this document in connection with rules for NFSv4 version
    management.

mike

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:16:57 -0400

> Section 2

>   spec but I didn't see a definition anywhere.

The material in section 7.4 was intended to serve as a definition but I see
that needs to be clarified.

> The main thing I'd
>  the working group says it's extensible,

I took the reverse approach, i.e. that minor version is non-extensible if
the working group says it is not extensible.  What I was trying to do is
to allow v4.2 to be extensible without the working group having to
explicitly declare it as such raising the issue of having to do an RFC
updating the v4.2 RFC.

> as opposed to being

I don;t think I do that.  What technical details are you referring to.

>  I'd also include a cross-reference to Section 7.4.

Will do.

>   Delete the extra space before the comma.

Will fix.

How about the following:

See Section 6 for details about how features are specified and how the
structuring information provided is used..

>  starting with "For example": change "refer the" to "refer to the"

WIll fix.

>     this document in connection with rules for NFSv4 version

That's better.  Will change.

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> nfsv4 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
>

---

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 15:27:12 -0700

David Noveck wrote:

> the working group says it is not extensible.

I'm okay with that.  I just want it to be clear that it's solely a
working group declaration, so that nobody tries to find in the
versioning spec a set of properties that make a minor version
non-extensible.

> I don't think I do that.  What technical details are you referring to.

Agreed, you don't do that.  (I just mentioned it as a hypothetical
approach.  If this is still confusing, forget I said anything about
"derived from technical details". :-))

> structuring information provided is used..

Looks good.

mike