Subject: [nfsv4] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00.txt

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 14:30:51 -0400

There has been some discussion of the possibility of making the versioning
document
informational.  I think we will follow up on that at IETF96 and hopefully
make a
decision.  Bill S. made the point that each RFC was free to ignore previous
RFCs
making the concept of standards-track rules regarding extensions futile, in
some sense.

While that position is logical, we have been living for the last years with
the minor versioning
rules in RFC5661 and, if we were free, to ignore those, it never mattered.
So my
conclusion is that if some part of draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning is to become
informational,
not all of it can be.

This new I-D represents my view of the part of the current versioning draft
that needs to
be standards-track, if only to negate the existing standards-track
statement that doesn't
allow extensions outside minor versions.

In any case we can discuss possible ways to go forward as regards extension
models at
IETF96.   One of those might be to convert this I-D into a standards-track
working group
document and revise draft-ietf-nfsv4-versioning to take out that material
and then made it
into an Informational document..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 2:16 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00.txt
To: David Noveck <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by David Noveck and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension
Revision:       00
Title:          Rules for NFSv4 Extensions and Minor Versions.
Document date:  2016-06-23
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          21
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dnoveck-nfsv4-extension-00

Abstract:
   This document describes the rules relating to the extension of the
   NFSv4 family of protocols.  It covers the creation of minor versions,
   the addition of optional features to existing minor versions, and the
   correction of flaws in features already published as Proposed
   Standards.  The rules relating to the construction of minor versions
   and the interaction of minor version implementations that appear in
   this document supersede the minor versioning rules in RFC5661.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat