Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'Multiple NFSv4 Domain Namespace Deployment Requirements' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-nfsv4-multi-domain-fs-reqs-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 07:07:39 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multiple NFSv4 Domain Namespace Deployment Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-nfsv4-multi-domain-fs-reqs-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-multi-domain-fs-reqs/

Technical Summary

   This document discusses issues relevant to the deployment of the
   NFSv4 protocols in situations allowing for the construction of an
   NFSv4 file namespace supporting the use of multiple NFSv4 domains and
   utilizing multi-domain capable file systems.  Also described are
   constraints on name resolution and security services appropriate to
   the administration of such a system.  Such a namespace is a suitable
   way to enable a Federated File System supporting the use of multiple
   NFSv4 domains.

Working Group Summary

  The working group has been supportive of this work with little contention
  over the approach represented within.  This work is a result of direct
  experience of the authors (and more broadly in the WG) of managing
  multi-domain environments with the result of what solutions are needed
  and what is workable.

Document Quality

  The construction of this document has taken time and the overall content
  and quality are very high.  There were good comments and updates made
  during the last call process and it is very ready for for review by the IESG.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Spencer Shepler
  Area Director: Spencer Dawkins

RFC Editor Note

In Section 6.1

OLD

   The definition of an NFSv4 Domain name, the @domain portion of the
   name@domain syntax, needs clarification to work in a multi-domain
   file system name space.  Section 5.9 [RFC5661] loosely defines the
   NFSv4 Domain name as a DNS domain name.  This loose definition for
   the NFSv4 Domain name is a good one, as DNS domain names are globally
   unique.  As noted above in Section 6.1, any choice of NFSv4 Domain
   name can work within a stand-alone NFSv4 Domain deployment whereas
   the NFSv4 Domain name is required to be unique across a multi-domain
   deployment.
   
NEW

   The definition of an NFSv4 Domain name, the @domain portion of the
   name@domain syntax, needs clarification to work in a multi-domain
   file system name space.  [RFC5661] Section 5.9 loosely defines the
   NFSv4 Domain name as a DNS domain name.  This loose definition for
   the NFSv4 Domain name is a good one, as DNS domain names are globally
   unique.  As noted above in Section 6.1, any choice of NFSv4 Domain
   name can work within a stand-alone NFSv4 Domain deployment whereas
   the NFSv4 Domain name is required to be unique across a multi-domain
   deployment.