Subject: [nfsv4] Proposed Working Group Charter (ascii version)

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 06:33:31 -0400

NFSv4wg Charter

Near-Final Proposal

Including Proposed Milestones

David Noveck

August 24, 2017

1. Proposed Charter Text

1.1.  General Section

NFS Version 4 is the IETF standard  for file sharing.

To maintain NFS Version 4's utility and currency, the working group is
chartered to maintain the existing NFSv4.0, NFSv4.1, and NFSv4.2 protocols
and specifications of related ONC components, such as those defining RPC,
XDR, and RPCSECGSS.

In addition, extensions will be developed, as necessary, to correct
problems
with the protocols as currently specified, to accommodate needed file
system
semantics, and to respond to technological developments in the areas of
networking and persistent storage/memory.

1.2 Maintenance Section

The working group has found that, as NFSv4 implementations mature and
deployments continue, clarifications and corrections to existing RFCs
are needed.

These specification updates help vendors in delivering high-quality and
interoperable implementations.

The working group is chartered with the vetting of reported issues and
determining correctness of submitted errata.

The working group is also responsible for approving changes to RPC- and
NFS-related IANA registries

In addition, some areas may need more concentrated work to correct the
specifications already published, to deal with unanticipated interactions
between features, or to respond to evolving IESG expectations with regard
to areas such as security.

Since necessary changes in such cases are generally not appropriate for
the errata system, the working group will assist in publication of RFCs
that provide implementation guidance and of RFCs that provide editorial
modification or technical updates to original RFCs.

Since the new NFSv4 versioning framework is in effect, such technical
updates to NFSv4 minor versions could include limited XDR changes.

1.3 Extension Section

The NFSv4 protocol is designed to allow extension by the definition of new
operations, new attributes, and new pNFS layout types, as well as the
creation
of minor versions.

Similarly, associated ONC protocol components that have a
versioning/extension
framework can be incrementally extended, when necessary.

The working group will discuss proposals for such extensions and assure that
they have adequate technical review, including discussion of their
interaction
with existing features, before adopting them as working group items and
helping
to draft specification documents.

Some likely motivations for such extensions would be to:

Maximize NFS performance on advanced network fabrics.

Accommodate new storage technologies.

Provide facilities useful in management of NFS-accessed storage in

large-scale virtualization environments.

Provide more effective NFS response to security challenges.

2. Proposed Milestones

Because the previous charter was at variance with the work the group was
actually doing, the list of pending milestones that can determined now is
somewhat limited.

To accommodate this situation and in light of the fact that maintenance
activities are inherently unpredictable, new milestones that fall within
the scope specified within the charter can be added after working group
consensus on acceptance and approval by the responsible Area Director

========================================================================
|   Date  |                Milestone                                   |
------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3/2018  | WGLC for description of use of NVMe in accessing a pNFS    |
|         | SCSI Layout                                                |
| 6/2018  | WGLC for draft-ietf-nfsv4-migration-issues (Informational) |
| 8/2018  | WGLC for document describing NFSv4.0 trunking discovery    |
| 10/2018 | WGLC for document describing NFSv4.1 trunking discovery    |
| 10/2018 | WGLC for document describing Transparent State Migration   |
|         | in NFSv4.1                                                 |
------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 1Q2019  | WGLC for description of CM private data convention         |
|         | (Informational)                                            |
| 1Q2019  | WGLC for pNFS RDMA Layout                                  |
| 3Q2019  | WGLC for RPC-over-RDMA Version 2                           |
=========================================================================