Subject: [nfsv4] migration-update might/should discuss fli_valid_for

From: Chuck Lever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:29:13 -0400

Yesterday, I was pointed to these two protocol elements in NFSv4.1:

- FSLI4GF_GOING

- fli_valid_for

I don't recall seeing explicit discussion of them in the mv1 doc
or in migration-update, but they seem appropriately related to the
general topic of both documents.

--
Chuck Lever

---

From: David Noveck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 12:18:31 -0400

Both of these are ppart of the general class of items of nformation
returned by fs_locations_info that are charcterstics of the target file
systems that fs_locations_info entities designate, rather than being
characteristics of the different fs access paths that multiple trunked
entries will provide.   I don't see how these particular items will be any
different than other similar flags/values in fs_locations info.   RFC5661
says that these apply to the target filesystem or replica but there needs
to be clarification of this because we are now distinguishing access paths
and replicas and no longer assuming that there is a on-to-one mapping
between these.

My current plans are:

To mention this general issue in migration-issues-16, which will be out in
about a week.

To follow up with a mail to the group about our oprtions with dealing with
this issue in mv1-msns-update.

Based on the results of that discussion, prpose an approach to address it
in mv1-msns-update-02, which I expect to be out in about a month.