Subject: [Nfvrg] Network Slicing - a suggestion that we meet to discuss in Seoul

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 15:14:20 +0000

Hi,

We were trying to pull together a problem statement for network slicing
in a 5G context to understand how well the current IETF protocols address
this problem, what their short comings might be, and what IETF work is
necessary to have a deployable protocol suite to address this need.

We have set down our first thoughts in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dong-network-slicing-problem-statement-00

We find that there are a number of groups doing similar work throughout 
the IETF.

The following comprehensive draft was directed at the ANIMA WG
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-galis-anima-autonomic-slice-networking/

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vonhugo-5gangip-ip-issues-00
is a detailed discussion the position of network slicing in a contest of 
next
generation networks

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xuan-dmm-multicast-mobility-slicing-00
looks at multicasting in a sliced context

and

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-teas-actn-framework-01
looks at slicing in a context of traffic engineering.

Our thoughts are that network slicing spans a number of deployment
scenarios, and has a number of diverse applications, ranging from
fragile applications, through to providing enhanced security and 
availability.

Elements of the problem and the resultant solution have a close affinity
to DETNET. There is clearly an affinity with VPN technologies, although
none of the existing VPNs provide the degree of isolation that we think
is required.

We note that there seems to be no natural home for all of the aspects
of this problem.

It therefore seems that if would be a good idea for those interested
in this problem to get together at some point during IETF to swap notes
and share our views on the problem space and how to move forward
with addressing it.

Is there any interest in meeting up to discuss this in Seoul?

Best regards

Stewart/Mach/Jie

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 07:09:33 +0000

This stuff is routine in multi-tennant data centers where you want to
isolate tennants both at the VM level and at the VPN level, so you
need to dice and slice everything from app, os, nic, switches and
links....
lots of hypervisors&NICs support this at scale in that context - it
needs documenting how its managed, the importing into the ietf/5g
world....

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]> wrote:
> We find that there are a number of groups doing similar work throughout the
> IETF.
>
> _______________________________________________
> 5gangip mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/5gangip