Subject: [NGO] Charter question #2: YIN deliverable

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:55:33 +0200

Hi,

I have received questions about the need for #4:

4. A semantically equivalent two-way mapping to an XML-based
syntax for YANG (currently called YIN) (proposed standard)

In particular, if we're going to do DSDL, why do we need this?

Well, the reason is that YIN and the mapping rules do DSDL serve different 
purposes.

YIN is a syntactic equivalent of YANG (i.e., an XML representation of the 
model itself).  YIN is just the model in a different form.  It's entirely 
reversible (YANG to YIN to YANG).  Current users of YANG-like languages use 
YIN for its XML representation to use XML tools like XSLT scripts on the 
model.

DSDL is used for NETCONF instance document validation and is not necessarily 
fully reversible.

I hope this clarifies things.  Comments welcome.

Cheers,

David
_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo

---

From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 11:54:55 -0400

>YIN for its XML representation to use XML tools like XSLT scripts on the 

YIN allows YANG modules to be parsed in environments that don't
have (or don't want) YANG parsers.  It's analogous to the non-compact
form or RNG.  +1 that we need it.

Thanks,
 Phil