Subject: [NGO] YANG language translations

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:11:34 -0700

Hi,

I know NETMOD isn't really started yet, but since I'm working
on some tools...

Not all SMIv2 MIBs can be translated to YANG.
One of them (which I share some blame for) is the RMON2-MIB in RFC 2021.
Specifically, any INDEX clause which lists the same identifier more
than once cannot be represented in YANG, because YANG has a rule against that.
(Changing the MIB to 'fix' the problem breaks apps/agents that know
the real MIB -- which is the whole point of doing the translation.)

Not all YANG constructs can be properly translated to XSD.
Local typedefs and groupings are one area, as well
as augmenting a choice or case.  Appinfo hacks can probably be devised
instead though.

I do not know DSDL well enough to do a translation.
I wonder if there are any YANG constructs which do not map well
to DSDL.

How important is loss-less 1-way translation from SMIv2 to YANG?

How important is loss-less 1-way translation from YANG to XSD?

How important is loss-less 1-way translation from YANG to DSDL?

What trade-offs between real language constructs and annotation constructs
is acceptable, and still considered to be loss-less?

The charter is understandably fuzzy on this subject, but there
are real details to be considered.

Andy

_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:19:51 +0200

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 09:11:34AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
 
> Not all SMIv2 MIBs can be translated to YANG.  One of them (which I
> share some blame for) is the RMON2-MIB in RFC 2021.  Specifically,
> any INDEX clause which lists the same identifier more than once
> cannot be represented in YANG, because YANG has a rule against that.

I guess this problem can be fixed in the translator; it is on my TODO
list for smidump but I currently do not get to do it.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:33:00 -0700

> list for smidump but I currently do not get to do it.

Maybe this should be offline...

I think you are right -- if you generate a dummy leaf,
like 'protocolDirLocalIndex2', but give it the same 'smi:oid'
extension value as 'protocolDirLocalIndex' -- that should work.

Andy