Subject: [NGO] Does anyone care about Data Modeling?

From: "Rohan Mahy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 12:47:26 -0700

Hi,

A few days ago, David Partain sent out a proposed charter for a WG to
create a NETCONF data modeling language. Other than the members of the
design team who hammered out the proposed charter, nobody on this list
has said anything.

If you have an opinion on this topic, even if it is just to say that
you like or hate this kind of work, please speak up. To help the truly
lazy, you can reply with just a single numeral:

1) I want us to do data modeling for Netconf.  The proposed charter is
OK. (Feel free to describe what you like or dislike.)
2) I want us to do data modeling for Netconf, but the proposed charter
is terrible. (Feel free to describe what you don't like.)
3) I don't care.
4) I don't want to do data modeling for Netconf at IETF. (Feel free to
explain why.)

thanks,
-rohan
_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:12:53 -0700

> lazy, you can reply with just a single numeral:

Since many people (including the 15 on the charter design team)
have already expressed interest in a NETCONF data modeling language
for over a year, it seems odd to assume there is no interest
because the charter text doesn't draw a lot of comments.

(That's a good thing -- it means nobody is objecting
to the work at all.)

It sure looks like a lot of work to me, but if there are
people willing to do the work, that's not a problem.

> 4) I don't want to do data modeling for Netconf at IETF. (Feel free to

Andy

---

From: Jon Saperia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 00:06:02 -0400

I am glad to have the work start at last.  I think the charter is  
worded well enough so that we can make good progress.
/jon

---

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:52:08 +0200

> because the charter text doesn't draw a lot of comments.

I completely agree with Andy.  Then again, if there are others who have 
comments, it'd be great to see them.

Cheers,

David

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:16:56 -0400

Hi,

The SBSM BOF (which turned into ISMS WG) had approximately 100 people
present, and in a hands-up exercise to determine consensus to start a
WG, approximately 90% raised hands. The area directors involved
decided that was not a sufficient indication of interest from the
community, because that BOF only represented the opinion of the people
especially interested in doing the work.

Having a 15 member design team state that they are interested in doing
the work does not necessarily demonstrate that the IETF community as a
whole agrees that this work should be done. And this work has already
received pushback from IESG and IAB members, even though our area
directors seem interested in seeing this work progress.

So I do not consider it odd to ask for indications of support from the
community for this charter and the work it entails.

David Harrington
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of David Partain
> Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 2:52 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [NGO] Does anyone care about Data Modeling?
>