Subject: [NGO] Updated charter text that the IESG will be considering...

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 16:02:24 +0200

Hi,

This is the text sent to Dan and which he has distributed to the IESG.  
Attached you'll find the revised charter text and a diff showing the changes 
from the original text I sent out.  In short, those changes are:

1. combine deliverables 5 & 6
2. add "rules" after mapping pretty much everywhere
3. add "Language" to the WG name
4. changes to text about SMIv2 so we don't cover "everything"

Cheers,

David
--- netmod-charter.txt.orig	2008-04-07 12:52:27.000000000 +0200
+++ netmod-charter.txt	2008-04-07 13:01:15.000000000 +0200
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
-NETMOD: NETCONF Data Modeling
+NETMOD: NETCONF Data Modeling Language
 
 Chairs: TBD
 
@@ -36,11 +36,11 @@
 In order to leverage existing XML tools for validating NETCONF
 data in various contexts and also facilitate exchange of data
 models and schemas with other IETF working groups, the WG will
-define standard mappings from YANG to the DSDL data modeling
+define standard mapping rules from YANG to the DSDL data modeling
 framework (ISO/IEC 19757) with additional annotations to preserve
 semantics.
 
-The initial YANG mapping specifications are expressly defined for
+The initial YANG mapping rules specifications are expressly defined for
 NETCONF modeling.  However, there may be future areas of
 applicability beyond NETCONF, and the WG must provide suitable
 language extensibility mechanisms to allow for such future work.
@@ -53,11 +53,11 @@
 locking, notifications).
 
 While it is desirable to provide a migration path from existing
-MIBs to YANG data models, it is not a requirement to provide full
-compatibility between SMIv2 and YANG. YANG is permitted to
-introduce constructs that cannot be expressed in SMIv2.  However,
-everything that can be expressed in SMIv2 must be expressible in
-YANG.
+MIB modules to YANG data models (modules), it is not a
+requirement to provide full compatibility between SMIv2 and YANG.
+YANG is permitted to introduce constructs that cannot be
+expressed in SMIv2.  However, all basic types that can be
+represented in SMIv2 must be expressible in YANG.
 
 Initial deliverables are below.  The working group may choose to
 combine multiple deliverables into a single document where deemed
@@ -69,32 +69,30 @@
 2. The YANG data modeling language and semantics (proposed
 standard)
 
-3. Mapping of YANG to XML instance data in NETCONF (proposed
-standard)
+3. Mapping rules of YANG to XML instance data in NETCONF
+(proposed standard)
 
 4. A semantically equivalent two-way mapping to an XML-based
 syntax for YANG (currently called YIN) (proposed standard)
 
-5. Mapping of YANG to DSDL data modeling framework (ISO/IEC
-19757) (proposed standard)
-
-6. Definition of annotations for DSDL to preserve top-level
-semantics during translation (proposed standard)
+5. Mapping rules of YANG to DSDL data modeling framework (ISO/IEC
+19757), including annotations for DSDL to preserve top-level
+semantics during translation (proposed standard).
 
-7. A standard type library for use by YANG (proposed standard)
+6. A standard type library for use by YANG (proposed standard)
 
 Goals and Milestones:
 
 Jun 2008 - All _individual_ drafts available that will be used as
 input into the WG documents (draft-bjorklund-yang, architecture
-draft, YIN draft, YANG standard library draft, DSDL mapping
+draft, YIN draft, YANG standard library draft, DSDL mapping rules
 draft?)
 
 Aug 2008 - Initial set of WG drafts: architecture, YANG, YIN,
-YANG standard library, DSDL mapping (if there is one/more
+YANG standard library, DSDL mapping rules (if there is one/more
 individual draft), based on WG decisions in Dublin
 
-Sep 2008 - Initial DSDL mapping document
+Sep 2008 - Initial DSDL mapping rules document
 
 Oct 2008 - 01 of YANG, DSDL, architecture, YIN, and standard
 library draft.  If split out, -00 of on-the-wire XML draft.
@@ -105,8 +103,8 @@
 publication as an Informational RFC
 
 Aug 2009 - WGLC for YANG, YIN, XML on-the-wire (if split out),
-YANG standard library, DSDL mapping
+YANG standard library, DSDL mapping rules
 
 Sep 2009 - Submit YANG, YIN, XML on-the-wire (if split out), YANG
-standard library, DSDL mapping to the IESG for publication as a
+standard library, DSDL mapping rules to the IESG for publication as a
 Proposed Standard
_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo