Subject: [NGO] Charter question #1: combine #5 and #6?

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:45:38 +0200

Hi,

I have received questions about #5 and #6 in the "deliverables" bit.  The 
question was whether these need to be separate items.  They read:

5. Mapping of YANG to DSDL data modeling framework (ISO/IEC
19757) (proposed standard)

6. Definition of annotations for DSDL to preserve top-level
semantics during translation (proposed standard)

After asking Lada and Rohan for clarification, it may be useful to (use their 
words to) explain the separation.

Lada: "The former is strictly limited to the schema languages used in the DSDL 
standard, RELAX NG and Schematron in particular. This would allow for using 
the existing XML tools without modifications,  mainly for validation. 
However, some semantic information from the source YANG model may not be 
represented.

The latter will be extra annotations that the DSDL standard doesn't handle. 
Their purpose is to have a data model fully equivalent to the source YANG 
model."

Rohan: "The value of #5 by itself is that you can validate everything that is 
possible to validate with #5.  With #6, a human can (with some pain) recreate 
the YANG module (and its extensions) that created it without losing any 
information.  The number of annotations is likely to be quite small."

Note that the charter also states that the "working group may choose to
combine multiple deliverables into a single document where deemed
appropriate."  This implies that they don't necessarily need to be in two 
documents.  In fact, if you look in the milestones, you'll only find one DSDL 
document.

Sep 2008 - Initial DSDL mapping document
(etc.)

If it would reduce confusion, we could combine those two deliverable items 
into:

  5. Mapping rules of YANG to DSDL data modeling framework (ISO/IEC 19757),
     including annotations for DSDL to preserve top-level semantics during
     translation (proposed standard).

What think ye?

Cheers,

David
_______________________________________________
NGO mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 10:13:18 +0200

Hi David,

I agree with joining #5 and #6 as well as the new formulation.

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C