Subject: [NSIS] comment on draft-nsis-req-00

From: "Freytsis, Ilya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:21:29 -0500

Hi, all.

 While catching up with discussions on the list I've got impression the
requirements to NSIS sometimes got mixed up with requirements to the
entities that have to implement it.  This mix-up can make our discussions at
the IETF 53 less productive than it can be. One thing is to say that NSIS
must allow to do X and the other - to say that the entity A must implement
X.
I think that the modality MUST is the only meaningful modality for the
protocol requirements (what protocol will allow you to achieve).  On the
other hand requirements for the protocol implementation (what is supported
and in what scenarios) by the various enteritis the difference between
modalities MUST, SHOULD, MAY becomes very important and meaningful. I think
that section 6 of the document should be re-worked from this perspective.

Here are some comments to the requirement section (and discussions on the
list):

5.1.7 - I have a hard time to understand this requirement and how it is
derived from the motivation paragraph. I think it has to be re-worded and
explained or removed.

5.1.8 - I think this requirement should be removed or completed with the
list of technologies.

Requirement 5.1.1 and 5.1.10 looks the same to me. What am I missing here?

5.5.4 - I agree with those who are saying that QoS requestor should not be
concerned with the actions taken by the network if the "contract" between
requestor and the network is not affected.

5.5.7 - I believe that existence of the separate (from the flow identifier)
reservation identifier is very important not just for mobility but for the
ease of integration with the different local QoS technologies as well. 

5.5.10 is very similar to 5.5.6.  Do we need both?

I see very strong correlation between 5.6.1 and 5.6.3. Do we need both?

I support requirement (Hemant Chaskar) that NSIS must support various
billing/charging scenarios beyond simply providing hooks for record
collection.

Ilya.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: "Freytsis, Ilya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:14:32 -0500

This posting has never showed up in the digests (I am receiving only
digests). I'm resending it for this reason.

Ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: Freytsis, Ilya 
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 4:21 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: comment on draft-nsis-req-00

Hi, all.

Ilya.