Subject: [NSIS] draft-ietf-nsis-req-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:38:28 +0100

Hi Marcus,

I have a coupled of questions regarding the requirements sections in the
draft. I have tried to refer to the appropriate sections in the draft

5. QoS control information

1) mutability: Is this really a hard requirement. The same functionality
could be implemented in the host when it gets negative feeback on a request
that it may try again with a downgraded request. This would require no
extra functionality in the nsis protocol.

2) add/remove local domain information: again I am not sure this is needed.
I think the QC could initiate signaling locally, set it up and then tunnel
through this. This would not require nsis to take care of it.

3) definition of QoS service classes: I think we should focus here on
'universal parameters' that, when complied with, guarantee the service. In
that way the nsis signaling could be limited to support these parameters,
leaving the interpreation and translation to be a local matter in the QC.

4) aggregation: it think at most the user should be able to specify
aggregate/don't aggregate. But even then I think he doesn't care as long a
she gets the required service. I am not sure whether this is a hard
requirement.

5) Modification of reserved QoS: again I think this complexity should not
be in the nsis protocol, but maybe in the QI as an optimization feature?

6) Priority: I think priority support is extremely important (emergency
call services e.g.). We had
'3) Support of priority: A minimal support of priority and preemption in
case of congestion may be needed in the signaling or in the class
description.'

6. Performance

I think a requirement might be that nsis signaling will need to have a way
to get priority treatment in the networks. It cannot be assumed to have the
same priority as the data traffic it is signaling for.

7. Flexibility

4) bi-directional reservations: I am not sure whether this is a hard
requirement. You could build this on top of two uni-lateral reservations by
means of application signaling.

Sven.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis