Subject: [NSIS] Flow Definition?

From: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:31:16 -0500

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Reading with great interest 'draft-ietf-nsis-req-00.txt', I became
puzzled by the new definition of a flow:

"Flow: a traffic stream (sequence of IP packets between two end
   systems) for which a specific level of QoS is to be provided. The
   flow can be unicast (uni- or bi-directional) or multicast."

It looks to me like a significant departure from, say RFC 1633, which
describes a flow as

"...  a
      distinguishable stream of related datagrams that results from a
      single user activity and requires the same QoS.  For example, a
      flow might consist of one transport connection or one video stream
      between a given host pair..."

and further says:

"A flow might consist of one transport connection or one video stream
      between a given host pair."

So, with the new definition, two such transport connections, both
between a given pair of hosts, would still form the same flow. Is that
what was intended? If so, why?

With best regards,

Igor
Does it mean that if I have two

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:00:37 +0100

Reading our flow definition, I currently would be not even specific about
end-systems. 

The intention was not to prescribe, what a flow is, but say that the flow is
the traffic getting s specific quality. So e.g. an (behaviour) aggregate might
be signaled for as well.

Marcus