Subject: [NSIS] requirements draft and NSIS "product"

From: "Freytsis, Ilya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:51:01 -0400

All,

It took me for a while till I realized that my biggest problem with this
draft is presented in its first statement: "This document defines
requirements for signaling QoS across different network environments". I
could not find the answer to the question - what is QoS signaling? Is it a
protocol, collection of inter-working protocols (signaling architecture) or
something different all together? Furthermore, without giving an answer to
this question we have dived into the discussion of detailed requirements to
... whatever people have in their minds. The lack of clarity (at least in my
mind) on this subject makes me feel often at odds with some pieces of the
document while I am in the full agreement with others. It seems that the
clarity and precision of the statements acceptable for the group charter are
not sufficient to move forward requirements (followed by the framework).  
Am I missing something and this subject has been already discussed and
agreed upon? I'll appreciate if somebody can clarify it for me.
If I am not alone in my concerns I would like to start the interim meeting
in Helsinki with this discussion. To have a meaningful requirement you
should know how you could tell whether it is met or not. Without clearly
defining the "product" it is not simply possible.

Best regards,
Ilya Freytsis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:11:48 +0300

Hi Ilya,

The process is:

1) In order to signaling QoS, what are the requirements?  I think
that this need not be an overly specified set of requirements,
but should help us focus our thoughts on what we are trying to do.

2) What is the framework needed to support signaling QoS? What
entities are involved, who does what.

3) What have existing solutions achieved?  Do a comparison
against them in order not to re-invent the wheel or to try to
invent something that cannot be invented.

4) Start protocol work.  At this point, we should have a good
understanding of the needs, the environment & what
has been done before.  At this point, I think we will be able
to understand enough to know if a single protocol is 
sufficient, if an extensible protocol is sufficient, if no
new protocol work is needed or of if multiple protocols
are needed.  We may need to choose a subset of the
entire area to start on at first.

John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Freytsis, Ilya [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 13 May, 2002 21:51
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: [NSIS] requirements draft and NSIS "product"
> 
> 
> All,
>

---

From: "Freytsis, Ilya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 10:29:20 -0400

Hi John,

I agree with the process you have described and I am glad that the
discussions about NSIS charter, BB etc. happens now before finalizing
requirement discussion. It helps to understand better where different
thinking is coming from.

Ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 6:12 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NSIS] requirements draft and NSIS "product"

Hi Ilya,

The process is:

John

---

From: "Freytsis, Ilya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:06:16 -0400

Hi John,

Ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 6:12 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [NSIS] requirements draft and NSIS "product"

Hi Ilya,

The process is:

John