Subject: [NSIS] a very small framework draft

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 11:05:02 +0100

dear all,

we have made a little draft about what sort of things need to be in an NSIS framework, as well as some modest assumptions about how the NSIS signalling protocols might relate to 'other things' (like resource management...). in some ways, it's a prequel to the framework draft we discussed at minneapolis.

it is (we hope) working its way through the i-d system, in the meantime you can get it from
http://www.epic.roke.co.uk/epic/draft-hancock-nsis-fw-outline-00.txt

best news of all: not counting the trimmings at each end, it's only 11 pages long!

see you all in helsinki,

robert h.

=======================================================================

Abstract 
    
   The Next-Steps-in-Signalling (NSIS) working group of the IETF is 
   considering the requirements for QoS signalling protocols [2]. One 
   element of this, and follow up work, is to develop a framework within 
   which existing and proposed protocols can be analysed, and which 
   captures how QoS signalling protocols should interact, both with each 
   other and with other components of the Internet, such as routing 
   protocols or AAA mechanisms. Because of this aspect of interactions, 
   the scope of an NSIS framework is necessarily broader than the scope 
   of any new NSIS protocol. 
    
   Previous work suggests that a complete QoS signalling framework is a 
   major undertaking. This Internet Draft outlines the principal 
   components of such a framework and their interrelationships. It could 
   be used as a starting point for more detailed investigation of 
   individual components. It could also be used to refine the scope of 
   NSIS more precisely, both in terms of what functions are to be 
   considered and how many variant approaches are relevant.