Subject: RE: [NSIS] To BB or not to BB

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:25:40 +0300

Hi all,

Just a general comment about Bandwidth Brokers and NSIS.  Bandwidth
Brokers (as the are commonly defined) are actually out of scope 
of NSIS.  This means we are not defining a bandwidth broker 
architecture.  There was quite a bit of discussion (at a highlevel)
about this before NSIS was allowed to be chartered, and it was
said to me that bandwidth brokers are not really thought of
as part of the Internet architecture.

However, I do know that there are many folks providing bandwidth
broker solutions.  My view is that a bandwidth broker comes
dangerously close to how resources are provisioned, therefore
are out of scope of NSIS. From the charter:

 It is noted that resource reservation and traffic engineering can be 
 considered as part of network administration, and therefore beyond the 
 scope of the IETF to mandate a particular mechanism.

Additionally, some folks may wish to check on the TEWG 
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/tewg-charter.html) for work on 
traffic engineering.

Finally, I do think it is perfectly acceptable to have a framework
and/or solution that is friendly to bandwidth brokers, but I do not
think that a bandwidth broker centric architecture or solution is
what we should do.

John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:44:49 +0200

I am sorry, but I could not refrain from asking what Internet Architecture 
BB are not part of?

Otherwise I agree with John, the reqs and framework should allow for 
various QoS architectures (including BB kind of architectures), defined by 
the IETF.

Marcus

> think that a bandwidth broker centric architecture or solution is

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:03:16 -0700

Marcus,

I think that IETF, especially NSIS, should not become a kitchen sink for 
all possible combinations of network architecture. We belong to an 
engineering community here, that is, we need to try our best to come up 
with some practical solutions for some practical problems.

Hence, could any *non-research* provider please please tell me if and 
when they will deploy BB to their customers?  If there is a real demand 
for BB, we should look into it in IETF (not sure within the scope of 
NSIS neither)? Otherwise, why not push the work to other places, such as 
IRTF?

2 cents,

- Ping

Marcus Brunner wrote:

> I am sorry, but I could not refrain from asking what Internet 
> Architecture BB are not part of?
> 
> various QoS architectures (including BB kind of architectures), defined 
> by the IETF.
> 
> Marcus
>