Subject: RE: RFCs referring BB was: Re: [NSIS] RE: What's in the charter of NSIS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:17:27 +0300

Hi Xiaoming,

> Chapter 4 of rfc2905 refers an explicit definition of bandwidth
> broker (which discussed by Internet2) and derives authorization 
> aspects for the BB. Maybe it's helpful for NSIS to regard the BB
> as an item as well. As many folks here stated, BB is not usually
> a centralized approach in a larger scale than a single domain.
>
> There are a number of other rfcs (e.g., 2475, 2903, 2638) talk
> about the BB.

2905, 2475 and 2638 are all informational.  2903 is experimental.
So, my feeling is that the IETF has not seriously considered BBs 
for any protocol work.  Additionally, BBs are more about traffic
engineering, network management and resource reservation, so the
exact nature of them is out of scope for NSIS.  However, we could
discuss them as we would discuss other resource reservation, etc.
mechanisms.

John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis