Subject: [NSIS] Cases that can benefit from the out of band NSIS signaling

From: "Freytsis, Ilya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 19:07:09 -0400

Hi all.

I want to be clear: I am not advocating out of band NSIS signaling (that
requires some sort of discovery of your signaling peers) as the only option.
I just argue the value to the support NSIS out of band signaling option as
well.

Cases that can benefit from the out of band NSIS signaling.

1. Application layer NSIS signaling proxy.
The typical logical places for these kinds of proxies are:
- SIP proxy/H323 Gatekeeper/Media Gateway Controller (MEGACO) in IP
telephony.
- Gaming Server
- Video On Demand management server
- Video Conferencing management server

The common functionality shared by these entities:
- Application layer user authentication
- Application layer session admission and resource management such as media
processing resources, bandwidth allocated to the application,
video-streaming resources etc.
 - Application layer accounting

The benefits of enabling these application proxies to function as NSIS (QoS)
initiator in behalf of the end hosts are:
- Deployment does not require NSIS support form the end hosts - installed
based of the devices can be used immediately.
- Easier prevention of the resource theft.
- Usually this entities less constrained with the computation resources than
hosts

Potential complication for the application proxies - they may have to be
aware of the network topology to know "where" to signal.

2. Centralized resource management systems (aka BB)
The benefits to enable BBs with NSIS signaling:
- It enables direct communication between BBs of the neighboring
domains/sub-domains
- It removes need for topology awareness from the NSIS signaling proxies
(since the centralize entity most likely is topology aware).

Ilya

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis