Subject: [NSIS] Re: comments Issue (14) included in draft-ietf-nsis-req-01

From: Marcus Brunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 16:44:55 +0200

--On Monday, April 22, 2002 10:35 AM +0200 "Georgios Karagiannis (ELN)" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Marcus
>
> Please receive my comments on Issue (14) included in the
> NSIS WG draft: draft-ietf-nsis-req-01.txt
>
> Comment on Issue (14):
>>   14) (OPEN, dependend on resolution of bi-directional) proposal to
>>   add "support grouping of microflows (possibly only for feedback)"
>>   "As a consequence of the optimization for the interactive multimedia
>>   services, the signaling should allow one unique request for several
>>   micro flows having the same origination and destination IP
>>   addresses. This is usually the case for multimedia SIP calls where
>>   the voice and video micro flows follow the same path. This grouping
>>   of requests allows optimization of the QoS processing. Note that
>>   this may be detrimental for the call setup time. The use of grouping
>>   for microflows may be restricted to teardown and/or notification
>>   messages when call setup time is a concern."
>>   open issue: first resolve the bi-directional issue which is somewhat
>>   related, because it seams to be an optimization as well
>
> [GK] I think that this requirement is useful in some scenarios.
> [GK] I would not restrict it to teardown and/or notification, it might be
> [GK] useful also for the procedure that refreshes reservation states.

I see the complexity for setup. What is the semantic behind grouping 
reservations? What happens if 3 out of 4 reservations are granted and the 
4th not? And there are other trandactional problems with it.

Additionally, if it is only about the service you are requesting, you might 
do this in the service-specific part of the protocol. In this case the 
protocol just regards the group as one reservation (but for several 
streams).

Marcus

--------------------------------------
Dr. Marcus Brunner
Network Laboratories
NEC Europe Ltd.

E-Mail: [email-masked]
WWW:    http://www.ccrle.nec.de/
personal home page: http://www.brubers.org/marcus

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis