Subject: RE: [NSIS] Some charter scoping / restrictions

From: "Shaheen, Kamel M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 07:42:04 -0400

Hi John,

I agree with some of your comments about the routing of SIP and the
underlaying media (they do not necessary follow the same route, but nothing
prevent some cases from doing so specially in the IP cloud).  

In 3GPP, SIP is used to carry some QoS information and is used to initiate
resources reservation at least inside 3GPP system not through out the IP
network. And this is where I see the convergence at least in the paradigm
level.

May be I mistaken but I thought that SIP and RSVP are operating on similar
layers on top of IP. 

Kamel

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tue, May 21, 2002 1:43 AM
To: [email-masked]; 
Subject: RE: [NSIS] Some charter scoping / restrictions

Hi Kamel,

> Does this mean that NSIS is moving toward a direction similar 
> to what SIP is doing?

SIP messages don't follow the routing (or media) path, is working
at a different layer.  

Beside those comments, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  Could
you be more specific?

John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Brian Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:58:28 +1000

Hi All.
I just though I should correct some statements here.
/brian

> Hi John,
<snip>
> network. And this is where I see the convergence at least in the paradigm
SIP carries SDP which is used by 3GPP to derive QoS related information.
The UE initiates all resource reservation, which typically will use
information from the SIP/SDP. However, SIP itself does not initiate the
resource reservation in any way.

<cut>