Subject: RE: [NSIS] New framework draft: Resource Management Function v.s.QoS Management Function

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:45:33 +0300

Hi Dan,

> Perhaps what is missing is a definition of Quality of Service.  This has been a
> long standing problem in the RFC series:  I'm not aware of a single place where
> the term is defined.  It is also true that the industry has no single accepted
> definition.  While I'm not convinced that this is the right place to put such
> definitions, there doesn't seem to be a better one right now.

I think the reason that there is no definition is because QoS is in the
eyes of the beholder & may be very service specific.  QoS for a file download
via FTP may be very different than QoS for streaming audio over RTP.

This is one reason why I have been depreciating the use of the term QoS in
NSIS.

John

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:47:33 -0400

> via FTP may be very different than QoS for streaming audio over RTP.

Thank you for proving my point ;-)

It is true that the performance attributes and values required for file transfer
differ from those required for audio streaming.  It is not true that there are
multiple different frameworks.  Definitions like the ones that I suggested --
whereever they get published -- would help make this clear.