Subject: RE: [NSIS] on-path versus off-path discussion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:10:58 +0300

Hi Rüdiger,

> what's the definition of path? I remember 
> one of John (I think) saying path 
> means AS path and nothing more. Is this 
> still valid?

Making an overtly simple example.  If A wants to signal B,
on-path means he signals to B.  Off path means he signals to C.

John
_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:40:00 +0200

Hi John,

> on-path means he signals to B.  Off path means he signals to C.

Oops, this is third-party/proxy signaling in my understanding.
What is A and B? sender, receiver?
Although the above example may be simple, I thought on-path means
that the signaling messages follow the same path (forward or reverse)
router-hop by router-hop as the data of the corresponding flow 
(which the signaling is about). 
So obviously the notion "on-path" is interpreted differently and we need a 
clear definition (maybe from A-Ds) _what_ they don't want to see in NSIS 
and why (or did I miss a statement on the list).

Regards,
 Roland

-- 
Roland Bless -- e-Mail: [email-masked]
Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe, Germany  
Zirkel 2, D-76128 Karlsruhe -- Office: Bld. 20.20, 3rd floor, R 358
Phone: +49 721 608-6413 Fax: +49 721 388097