Subject: RE: [NSIS] Re: Questions regarding <draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-01.txt>

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:43:47 -0400

Good points.

Inline [RRR]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Fred
Baker
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 5:50 PM
To: James M. Polk; Hannes Tschofenig
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [NSIS] Re: Questions regarding
<draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-01.txt>

...
In the PSTN, which is the context of this paragraph, there is in fact
the 
potential for call routing. In the Internet, at least at this point,
call 
routing is not one of the options.
...
[RRR] Right. Another problem in the PSTN may be is this: No separation
between call and connection. In the Internet/SIP environment, we can
separate between call and connection. Even, we can apply two level of
CAC: 1. SIP layer CAC - resources of SIP entities (e.g., CPU/port
capacity of proxies) and 2. IP layer CAC - resources of IP routers
(e.g., bandwidth, delay, jitter).

[RRR] For example, SIP resources reservation RFC provides indication
when resources reservation needs to be started, and is not involved how
resources of SIP layer and IP layer are reserved. As soon as resources
of both layers are reserved, it is assumed that somehow an indication is
provided that the resources reservation is complete, and then the
ringing tone and other SIP signaling messages start to continue. It may
be noted that the SIP layer does not know how long it will take to
complete the resources reservation. As result, it is needed to stop the
retransmissions of the SIP signaling messages using an ack of the
provisional responses like PRACK. This is the contribution of this RFC.

[RRR] This point shows that there is a need to bridge the above gap of
QoS signaling mechanisms between the SIP layer and the IP layer. I
believe that NSIS protocols are the right things to bridge the gap of
the QoS signaling.

[RRR] NSIS protocols need to fit into two layers of CAC of the
Internet/SIP along with all priorities/pre-emption as we are
discussing..

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis