Subject: [NSIS] A stupid question!

From: "Elena Scialpi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:41:03 +0200

I've  question for you:

In NSIS there are many divisions :

-NTLP and NSLP;
-sender-initiated and received-initiated;
-NTLP in GIMPS and transport protocol.

Why ? Only for flexibility of the protocol?
Could you give me, in few words , the main reasons for this divisions!

Exuse my stupid question, thanks, 
Elena

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:52:56 +0200

hi elena, 

there are no stupid questions. 

> Could you give me, in few words , the main reasons for this divisions!

the two -layer split was introduced because a number of "applications"
(e.g., qos, nat/fw, ....)  seem to use common functionality in path-coupled
signaling. people tend to group those things together and to avoid thinking
about the same issues again and again for "applications" sharing the same
functionality. furthermore, there is the code-reuse argument. (there is
certainly more....)

the terms sender-initiated and received-initiated reservation is a
historical left-over. it would be good to receive some comments on how
people would like to see the authorization procedure to happen. we have
written a draft which tried to trigger some discussion (please take a look
at:
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/drafts/draft-tschofenig-nsis-aaa-issues-01.pdf) 

different transport protocols in gimps: different transport protocols have
different properties and may be used in different environments and in
different parts of the end-to-end path. one size does not fit all scenarios.

does this make sense to you?

ciao
hannes