Subject: [NSIS] Security Threats for NSIS : Man-in-the-Middle Attacks

From: Tschofenig Hannes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:45:36 +0200

hi all,

comments regarding Man-in-the-Middle attacks:

> 3.1 Man-in-the-Middle Attacks 
>     
>    Note also that a 
>    denial of service attack on a signaling protocol exists when no 
>    separation between SA establishment and signaling protection takes 
>    place.

> I don't know whether this is just saying that SA establishment needs
> DoS protection (true), or a more subtle point about DoS protection 
> being harder without the separation because the first stage is more
> expensive (as you say later). In either case, the text doesn't seem
> to be needed here.

>    The discovery procedure, in particular, is vulnerable to a 
>    number of such attacks. 

> You haven't defined what a discovery procedure is. And even if the
> protocols do have discovery procedures (which is not fixed, at least
> at this threats stage of the lifecycle), the vulnerability is more
> fundamental in the functionality.

since the sentence with "Note also ..." seems to useless i suggest to simply
delete it. 

ciao
hannes

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis