Subject: [NSIS] Two-phase commit

From: Andrew McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:40:41 +0100

Hi all,

There is currently still an open issue on the QoS NSLP issue tracker:
http://nsis.srmr.co.uk/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/nsis-qos-nslp-issues/issue6
The question is about supporting a two-phase reserve/commit operation.

The last significant discussion appears to have been March 2004 (the 
"Plans for the protocol drafts" and "QoS-NSLP two-phase operation" threads).

I believe that the general view was:
- a two-phase reserve/commit model of operation should be supported
- the extra protocol information for this should probably be part of the 
QSpec

The latest version of the QSpec document doesn't have anything on this. 
The current QoS NSLP says (section 8.2) that the solution is opaque to 
the QoS NSLP.

There was a suggestion that it might affect the NSLP state machine, and 
so could not simply be pushed up to the QSpec/QoS Model. An alternative 
view is that, from a QoS-NSLP point of view, the 'commit' is just a 
modification of an existing 'reservation', and so no change is required.

So I'd like to check whether this should be added, and where the right 
place is to put the additional protocol elements.

Any comments?

Andrew

(Note: Earlier versions of the QSpec draft had the idea of a 'service 
schedule'. This could say something like: "I want a reservation starting 
at 09:00GMT and lasting for 1 hour". This entailed having knowledge of 
the available resources at some time in the future. I believe that is 
significantly different from the topic of discussion here, and in any 
case it was decided to drop this.)

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis