Subject: [NSIS] closing GIST issue 29 (TLS for channel security)

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 15:01:07 +0100

Dear all,

We've had a working assumption for a while now that TLS is the
right 'family' of channel security mechanisms to use for 
messaging associations. See also:

http://nsis.srmr.co.uk/cgi-bin/roundup.cgi/nsis-ntlp-issues/issue29

Section 5.7.3 has been added to define the use of TLS in messaging 
associations (and there have been minor editorial changes elsewhere 
to match). I'd be particularly interested in comments about
- whether these are the right versions to call up
- whether this is the right 2119 language to call them up with
- whether we need to be more prescriptive about what options within
  TLS to require (or is that for some other document to do).

robert h.

===================================================================

5.7.3.  Protocol Definition: Transport Layer Security

   This defines the use of transport layer security as a basic channel
   security mechanism.  Support for this protocol is mandatory;
   associations using it can carry messages with the transfer attribute
   Secure=True.  For use with TCP, implementation of TLS1.0 [11] is
   REQUIRED and implementation of TLS1.1 [12] is RECOMMENDED.  (If an
   unreliable transport such as DCCP or UDP is defined for GIST
   messaging associations in the future, TLS would be implemented with
   it using DTLS [37].)  This specification makes no additional
   requirements on the TLS implementation (e.g. ciphersuites or
   authentication mechanisms) since these can be negotiated within TLS
   itself.

   No higher-layer-addressing format is defined for TLS.

References:

Normative:

   [11]  Dierks, T. and C. Allen, "The TLS Protocol Version 1.0",
         RFC 2246, January 1999.

   [12]  Dierks, T. and E. Rescorla, "The TLS Protocol Version 1.1",
         draft-ietf-tls-rfc2246-bis-13 (work in progress), June 2005.

Informative:

   [37]  Rescorla, E. and N. Modadugu, "Datagram Transport Layer
         Security", draft-rescorla-dtls-05 (work in progress),
         June 2005.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis