Subject: [NSIS] NATFW NSLP; using REA mode for blocking data flows

From: Ali Fessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:12:15 +0200

Hi all,

the REA mode (Reserving External Address) was originally called REA mode 
because it is used by hosts behind a NAT to reserve a publicly reachable 
IP address (and port number).

Now, the REA mode is also used by hosts behind a firewall to signal to a 
firewall for blocking data traffic.

Although from functionality point of view, it might be fine to use the 
same name for these two similar functionalities; but from terminology 
point of view, this is rather confusing to signal for blocking data 
traffic and call it "REA mode".

So, why not use a different name that matches more the functionality, 
something like "BLOCK mode" for example?! This would make it easier for 
the readers to understand.

Cheers,
Ali
-- 
Ali Fessi
University of Tuebingen, Germany

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:35:30 +0200

Hi Ali,

it is true that there is some history about the REA name. However, we 
also want to avoid having too many configuration options: REA and BLOCK

Now, you just use one message, which is has the name REA, and the DR 
does not need to know whether he is behind a NAT, a firewall or a 
combination of both.

Ciao
Hannes