Subject: [NSIS] one or separate qos models for classic and PCN CL respectively

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:33:47 +0200

Hi Hannes,

the issue was raised in the minutes to be taken to the list.

Arguments to support only a single QoS model are:

- simplification of the end system (which doesn't have to 
  worry which flavor of a CL QoS model is applied by the 
  network or by the remote end system).

- no mapping or interworking required.

That would assume that the characteristics of the service 
are the same, no matter how it is produced. But this question 
will arise with any interworking. CL over IP/MPLS, CL over 
aggregated NSIS, CL over a network avoiding packet losses 
by provisioning.

My position would be, if a carrier guarantees service, CL 
can be produced and should use a single QoS model. Independent 
of the way the CL service is produced in the backbone.

Regards,

Rüdiger

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:57:41 +0300

Rudy,

>That would assume that the characteristics of the service are 
>the same, no matter how it is produced. But this question will 
>arise with any interworking. CL over IP/MPLS, CL over 
>aggregated NSIS, CL over a network avoiding packet losses by 
>provisioning.
>
>My position would be, if a carrier guarantees service, CL can 
>be produced and should use a single QoS model. Independent of 
>the way the CL service is produced in the backbone.

Not quite sure what your exact opinion is - are you saying that
CL SHOULD be the default QoS handling, or are you suggesting
that if an operator wants CL, they use CL?

Some off-line discussions indicate that there might be interest in
a basic inter-domain QoS model - for signaling QoS between different
service providers.  This QoS model would be independent of how
QoS is deployed within a network.  Would this be something of
interst?

John

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 06:54:40 +0200 (MEST)

Hi John

In my opinion CL should be considered as an end to end QoS model. It
should be of course possible that any local QoS model should be used in
combination with this end-to-end QoS model.

Best Regards,
Georgios