Subject: [NSIS] Scoping

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:41:14 -0400

Hi all,

here is a comment regarding the CREATE message scoping
(relevant for the QoS NSLP and the NATFW NSLP).

Section 5.1.1. of 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-qos-nslp-10.txt 
defines the 'Common header' and defines a 16-bit generic flags field. 
The 'S' flag is one of the defined flags:
"
       SCOPING (S) - when set, indicates that the message is scoped and
       should not travel down the entire path but only as far as the next
       QNE (scope="next hop"). By default, this flag is not set (default
       scope="whole path").
"

Interestingly, the QoS NSLP folks haven't defined anything that would be 
similar to the scoping we do. I wonder what the reason is. At the moment 
I don't see how the two approaches could be harmonized -- this might 
turn out to be a problem later when we decide to run the QoS NSLP and 
the NATFW NSLP together (one might, for example, remember the discussion 
we had with Jukka about DSCP rewriting: see
https://kobe.netlab.nec.de/roundup/nsis-natfw-nslp/issue46)

A comment regarding the 'P' flag in the Common NSLP header that refers 
to the proxy support for the REATE-PROXY and REA-PROXY message. Section 
3.8.7 defines it.

The flag is introduced into the Common NSLP header, which is, as its 
name indicates, common to all NSLPs. I think that this name is, however, 
wrong (or the description) since it is only common for all NATFW NSLP 
messages.

I therefore suggest to change the text from:

"
4.1  NSLP Header

    The NSLP header is common to all NSLPs and is the first part of all
    NSLP messages.
"

to:

"
4.1  NSLP Header

All GIST NSLP-Data objects for the NATFW NSLP MUST contain this Common
Header as the first 32 bits of the object (this is not the same as
the GIST Common Header).
"

Is my observation correct or do I miss something here?

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis