Subject: RE: [NSIS] one or separate qos models for classic and PCN CLrespe ctively

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:21:49 +0200

John,

the only purpose of my message was to suggest a one single QoS 
model to signal CL. I didn't suggest CL as the default QoS 
handling.

A basic QoS model understood and supported by all carriers would 
sure be helpful. I recall the DiffServ and IPPM discussions - 
IETF refused to define performance in quantitaive numbers 
these days. But carrier class QoS requires SLAs determining 
performance in measurable terms. So the ITU approach is charming.

A good question may be, which aspect of the issue should be 
handled by NSIS or IETF respectively.

Regards, 

Rudiger

Rudi|> the issue was raised in the minutes to be taken to the list.
|>
|>Arguments to support only a single QoS model are:
|>
|>- simplification of the end system (which doesn't have to
|>  worry which flavor of a CL QoS model is applied by the
|>  network or by the remote end system).
|>
|>- no mapping or interworking required.
|>
|>That would assume that the characteristics of the service are 
|>the same, no matter how it is produced. But this question will 
|>arise with any interworking. CL over IP/MPLS, CL over 
|>aggregated NSIS, CL over a network avoiding packet losses by 
|>provisioning.
|>
|>My position would be, if a carrier guarantees service, CL can 
|>be produced and should use a single QoS model. Independent of 
|>the way the CL service is produced in the backbone.
|

John| Not quite sure what your exact opinion is - are you saying that
|CL SHOULD be the default QoS handling, or are you suggesting
|that if an operator wants CL, they use CL?
|
|Some off-line discussions indicate that there might be interest in
|a basic inter-domain QoS model - for signaling QoS between different
|service providers.  This QoS model would be independent of how
|QoS is deployed within a network.  Would this be something of
|interst?
|
|John
|
|_______________________________________________
|nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
|https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis
|

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis