Subject: [NSIS] Legacy NAT traversal for NSIS

From: "Pashalidis, Andreas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 15:22:23 +0200

Hello NSIS,

Is anyone interested to make NSIS work through legacy NATs ?? (i.e.
NSIS-unaware NATs)

Under the following link a preliminary document (in I-D format) can be
found that describes a solution approach.
http://www.tschofenig.priv.at/TEMP/draft-pashalidis-nsis-gist-legacynats-00.
txt

In an exremely small nutshell: the idea is to tunnel both signalling and
data traffic over a single UDP NAT binding.

If enough interest exists we plan to submit the document to the working
group. But: is there any interest at all??

Best Regards,
Andreas Pashalidis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:41:04 +0300

Andreas,

I think there is interest, but I think it might be good to get some
input from the BEHAVE WG as well.

John 

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext Pashalidis, Andreas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 19 June, 2006 16:22
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [NSIS] Legacy NAT traversal for NSIS
>
>Hello NSIS,
>
>Under the following link a preliminary document (in I-D 
>format) can be found that describes a solution approach.
>In an exremely small nutshell: the idea is to tunnel both 
>signalling and data traffic over a single UDP NAT binding.
>
>If enough interest exists we plan to submit the document to 
>the working group. But: is there any interest at all??
>
>Best Regards,
>Andreas Pashalidis
>

---

From: Saikat Guha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:32:07 +0100

Hi Andreas,

> data traffic over a single UDP NAT binding.

I haven't gone through the document throughly, but the underlying
transport you propose reminds me of TEREDO (which is <any transport>
over IPv6 over UDP over IPv4, where the UDP over IPv4 is punched through
legacy NATs with the help of STUN/TURN/ICE etc.) One could potentially
run GIST over TEREDO and keep the signaling and data channel separate in
IPv6 land even though they use the same NAT binding in IPv4 land.

Alternatively, TURN (public-data-relay protocol for traversing the worst
of NATs) now has some lightweight framing capability; the framing in
TURN could potentially be extended to carry any in-band signals
including GIST. 

-- 
Saikat