Subject: [NSIS] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sunyi-fast-rsvp-00.txt]

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:51:45 +0100

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	I-D ACTION:draft-sunyi-fast-rsvp-00.txt
Date: 	Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:50:02 -0500
From: 	[email-masked]
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Extensions to Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) for Mobile IPv6
	Author(s)	: Y. Sun, et al.
	Filename	: draft-sunyi-fast-rsvp-00.txt
	Pages		: 59
	Date		: 2007-2-8
	
   RSVP [1] is designed as a signaling protocol that provides end-to-end
   QoS guarantee for real-time services in the fixed hardwired network.
   However, when used in the mobile environment, the protocol doesn't
   work well due to the mobility of the endpoints.  Immediately after a
   handover occurs, because of the lack of resource reservation in the
   handoff target subnet, QoS of the session degrades notably.  Another
   problem is that when route optimization is implemented, the protocol
   will be invalidated due to certain features of the route optimization
   mechanism.

   This document proposes extensions to RSVP.  The extensions enable
   RSVP to operate in the mobile IPv6 network while providing advanced
   resource reservation before handover and resource reservation on the
   optimized route after handover.  With these features, QoS of the
   sessions can be guaranteed and the utilization of network resources
   can be enhanced resulting in the improvement of overall network
   performance.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sunyi-fast-rsvp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-sunyi-fast-rsvp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sunyi-fast-rsvp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 13:30:24 -0600

Hannes, 

Since this is just a personal draft, and a -00 draft, do you 
have any view on this work? Is this something that is important
and we should be aware of this?

John

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext Hannes Tschofenig [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 09 February, 2007 07:52
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [NSIS] [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-sunyi-fast-rsvp-00.txt]
>
>FYI
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
>Internet-Drafts directories.
>
>

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:40:07 +0100

Hi John,

you always ask difficult questions.

When I saw the draft I thought it could be interesting for the mobility 
folks in NSIS.

Now, since you asked I read through it and here are some high-level 
observations

- As a session identifier the mobile node's home address is used. That's 
fine but the security implications are not discussed.

- Since specific mobility management protocols are not mentioned the 
assumptions are not clear.
The basic idea seems to be to make in advance reservations between via 
the old point of attachment to the new point of attachment as part of a 
tunnel setup between the old AR and the new AR. At some places I got the 
impression that MIPv6 message handling was not understood properly, 
given that MIPv6 does not consider a BU between the MN and the new AR 
and a mobility protocol exchange between the old AR and the new AR.

I believe that the document has many technical flaws.

- The references are incomplete. Many contributions and discussions in 
this space just haven't been reflected in any reasonable way.

- The security consideration section is useless.

- The document contains a number of implementation specific details that 
just make the document hard to read.

Let's better forget the document. Sorry for my posting.

Ciao
Hannes