Subject: [NSIS] gist version -14 pre-draft

From: "Hancock, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:00:34 +0100

hi all,

i have prepared a candidate gist version 14, taking into account the
last call discussions and interop issues. it is not yet submitted to the
secretariat, but can be found on-line here:
http://nsis.srmr.co.uk/nsis/draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp-14.txt

the changes are, as ever, summarised in the change log. people might
like to see if i have understood the points and implemented useful
changes. (in several cases a last call comment was something like "does
this mean X?", and if the answer is 'yes' i treat that as a no-op.)

a couple of points which might still be open:

- jukka has raised some issues about conditional peering. my feeling is
that we have a basic capability already, and any further extensions
required can be implemented as 100% backwards compatible extensions
(mainly by changing the interface between NSLP and GIST). given the
guidance we have been given on controlling complexity, i'd prefer to
leave GIST as it is on this point.

- roland has raised an issue about making the Hello-ID optional in
MA-Hello messages (only needed if R!=0 in the message). i think this is
probably technically feasible, but not clear whether everyone thinks it
makes things simpler and is happy to change message formats and rules at
this stage. if there's a clear view otherwise, it's a relatively simple
fix to make.

i will be offline for the next few days, but intend to submit the real
version 14 in time for the -0n cutoff taking into account any final
comments up to then.

cheers,

robert h.

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Jukka MJ Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:28:48 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

about the conditional peering, we are fine with leaving it out of the 
current base spec. This is a somewhat more complex issue, and we have 
written a separate I-D about it:

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nsis/draft-manner-nsis-peering-data-00.txt

If time permits, I'd like to present the work in Chicago.

Regards,
Jukka

---

From: "Vitor Bernardo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:30:04 +0100

Hi Robert,

I was reading the candidate GISTv14. In my opinion, the document becomes
easier to understand. For example, the new picture describing "Example of
Operation" will certainly help the people who read the draft for the first
time. All the clarifications will be also helpfully to prevent ambiguous
implementations of GIST.

*MA-Hello open issue:*

As you said, making the Hello-ID always presents in MA-Hello messages seems
to be technically feasible. On the other hand, make the Hello-ID optional
it's very simple. So, if GIST can works without this "overhead", I think
that it could improve the protocol.

Congratulations for the good job! Let's go to IESG!

-- 
BR,
Vitor Bernardo