Subject: RE: [NSIS] GIST Q-Mode Encapsulation Magic Number

From: "Robert Hancock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 19:48:47 +0100

hi all,
 
just making the final updates for -14, wrong-magic-number is now handled as
'silently ignore' which seems to be the consensus (and also makes good
technical sense).
 
regarding the scenario Luis mentions below, I think it is going to be
unusual for RAO values to be assigned for multiple (i.e. GIST and non-GIST)
protocols. indeed, the "rules" on RAO assignment may not even allow this
(depending on how you read the relevant specifications). so the point here
is not so much to handle this sort of overlap; it is more just working out
the right way to handle a "should never happen" corner case.
 
cheers,
 
robert h.

  _____  

From: Luís Cordeiro [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 04 April 2007 17:45
To: Ford, Alan
Cc: Martin Stiemerling; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [NSIS] GIST Q-Mode Encapsulation Magic Number

Hi all,

I agree with Alan, we should assume that if the magic number is different
the message received is not GIST, so no Error message should be sent.

This would benefit GIST in a scenario where messages (with the same IP RAO
as GIST) flood the network. In this scenario GIST would not help the flood.
But on the other hand this would require the packets to have the same IP RAO
as GIST, is this usual?

BR,
Luís Cordeiro

Ford, Alan wrote: 

Hi all,

for the case where an end system receives a GIST message without

the magic number, I am still unclear on whether to generate an

error or silently discard.

I tend so say "send an error" message, given that the magic number  

MUST be present anyway.

 From an implementer's point-of-view, I'm not so sure. An error message

includes the GIST common header, but the magic number precedes the

common header. If I fail to parse the magic number, how can I give the

common header in the error message? Surely a missing magic number is a

mangled packet and should just be silently ignored? I think that this is

particularly relevant given that the magic number is seen as part of the

encapsulation, not the message.

Regards,

Alan

_______________________________________________

nsis mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis