Subject: [NSIS] NATFW issue: proxy flag handling

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:45:31 +0100

[writing with chair's hat off, i.e., as NATFW NSLP author only!]

Hi all,

Section 4.1.  "NSLP Header" also defines some processing for the  
proxy (p) flag and the different messages.
The text:
The P flag indicates the usage of proxy mode.  If proxy mode is used
it MUST be set to 1.  Proxy mode usage is only allowed in combination
with the message types CREATE and EXTERNAL, P=1 MUST NOT be set with
message types other than CREATE and EXTERNAL.  The P flag MUST be
ignored when processing messages with type RESPONSE.  An error
RESPONSE message of class 'Protocol error' (0x3) and type 'Bad flags
value' (0x03) MUST be generated, if the P flag is set in NOTIFY
messages.

It's strange that the P flag must be ignored for RESPONSE but  
generates an error for NOTIFY.

Change proposal:
OLD:
The P flag MUST be ignored when processing messages with type  
RESPONSE.  An error RESPONSE message of class 'Protocol error' (0x3)  
and type 'Bad flags value' (0x03) MUST be generated, if the P flag is  
set in NOTIFY

NEW:
The P flag MUST be ignored when processing messages with type  
RESPONSE and NOTIFY.

The P flag is anyhow meaningless with those two message types.

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road,  
London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:37:39 +0100

Hi,

I do assume that everybody is fine with the proposed change.

If not, please speak up now!

Thanks, 

  Martin (as NATFW NSLP author)

Am 24.01.2008 11:45 Uhr schrieb "Martin Stiemerling" unter
<[email-masked]>:

> Section 4.1.  "NSLP Header" also defines some processing for the proxy (p)
> flag and the different messages. 
> The text:
> It's strange that the P flag must be ignored for RESPONSE but generates an
> error for NOTIFY. 
> 
> 
> Change proposal:
> OLD:
> The P flag MUST be ignored when processing messages with type RESPONSE.  An
> error RESPONSE message of class 'Protocol error' (0x3) and type 'Bad
> flags value' (0x03) MUST be generated, if the P flag is set in NOTIFY 
> 
> NEW:
> The P flag MUST be ignored when processing messages with type RESPONSE and
> NOTIFY. 
> 
> 
> 
> NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3
> 6BL | Registered in England 2832014
>  
> 
> 
>

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:45:09 +0200

Hi Martin,

I am fine with the suggested change.

I wonder whether we should also remove the following statement:
"
P=1 MUST NOT be set with message types other than CREATE and EXTERNAL.

"

We essentially list the messages where the proxy flag is allowed and where it is ignored. 
We shouldn't say anything about messages that aren't defined in the document since this might harm extensibility later.

Ciao
Hannes

Martin Stiemerling wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:57:59 +0100

Hi Hannes,

You're right the sentence below can be safely removed.

Fixed.

Thanks,

  Martin

Am 30.01.2008 9:45 Uhr schrieb "Hannes Tschofenig" unter
<[email-masked]>:

> We shouldn't say anything about messages that aren't defined in the document
> since this might harm extensibility later.
> 
> Ciao
> Hannes
> 
>