Subject: [NSIS] NATFW issue: Lifetime error messages

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:39:37 +0100

[writing with chair's hat off, i.e., as NATFW NSLP author only!]

Hi all,

When reading Section 3.4.  Calculation of Signaling Session Lifetime  
I stumbled over the error messages send when NFs or the NR reject the  
session lifetime.

Currently, there are two error codes (thus also cases) defined:
0x02: Requested lifetime is too big.
0x10: Requested lifetime is too small.

These two error cases are used to tell the NI whether the requested  
lifetime has an issue *and* if the by an NF/NR modified lifetime has  
an issue (see Section 3.4 before figure 12). This is a bit  
overloaded, as the NI eventually cannot tell whether his lifetime  
proposal was bad or if the en-route changed lifetime as bad.

My change proposal:
Keep these error codes 0x02 and 0x10 for rejection of NI's lifetime  
proposal and add two new error codes for rejection of a modified  
lifetime:
0xXY: Modified lifetime is too big.
0xSD: Modified lifetime is too small.
(0xXY and 0xSD must be replaced by real number later on)

Those messages are generated as an error response if one of the NFs  
or the NR has changed in away that other NFs cannot accept it  
anymore. This, at least, gives the NI the hint that the NFs/NR on the  
way have some trouble on agreeing a lifetime value.

   Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road,  
London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

_______________________________________________
nsis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nsis

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:38:19 +0100

Hi,

I do assume that everybody is also fine with this proposed change.

If not, please speak up now!

Thanks, 

  Martin (as NATFW NSLP author)

Am 24.01.2008 11:39 Uhr schrieb "Martin Stiemerling" unter
<[email-masked]>:

> When reading Section 3.4.  Calculation of Signaling Session Lifetime I
> stumbled over the error messages send when NFs or the NR reject the session
> lifetime. 
> 
> These two error cases are used to tell the NI whether the requested lifetime
> has an issue *and* if the by an NF/NR modified lifetime has an issue (see
> Section 3.4 before figure 12). This is a bit overloaded, as the NI eventually
> cannot tell whether his lifetime proposal was bad or if the en-route changed
> lifetime as bad. 
> 
> My change proposal:
> Keep these error codes 0x02 and 0x10 for rejection of NI's lifetime proposal
> and add two new error codes for rejection of a modified lifetime:
> Those messages are generated as an error response if one of the NFs or the NR
> has changed in away that other NFs cannot accept it anymore. This, at least,
> gives the NI the hint that the NFs/NR on the way have some trouble on agreeing
> a lifetime value.
> 
> 
>   Martin
> 
>  
> NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3
> 6BL | Registered in England 2832014
>  
> 
> 
>

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:47:23 +0200

I am OK with the suggested change. Adding two error codes to make the 
situation clearer seems to be a good idea.

Ciao
Hannes

Martin Stiemerling wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Georgios Karagiannis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:57:51 +0100

Hi Martin
 
I think that the two additional error codes are useful for clarification
purposes!
 
Best regards,
Georgios

  _____  

From: Martin Stiemerling [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: woensdag 30 januari 2008 9:38
To: nsis
Subject: Re: [NSIS] NATFW issue: Lifetime error messages

Hi,

Thanks, 

Hi all,

These two error cases are used to tell the NI whether the requested lifetime
has an issue *and* if the by an NF/NR modified lifetime has an issue (see
Section 3.4 before figure 12). This is a bit overloaded, as the NI
eventually cannot tell whether his lifetime proposal was bad or if the
en-route changed lifetime as bad. 

My change proposal:

Those messages are generated as an error response if one of the NFs or the
NR has changed in away that other NFs cannot accept it anymore. This, at
least, gives the NI the hint that the NFs/NR on the way have some trouble on
agreeing a lifetime value.

  Martin

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London
W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

  _____