Subject: [NSIS] Discusses on GIST (draft-ietf-nsis-ntlp) regarding query message interception

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:00:19 +0200

The IESG had an informal telechat about the discusses on GIST. The main
issue was the discuss around how GIST aware routers is going to
intercept the query messages. After some discussion the ADs that was
present (including the discuss holders on this topic Cullen Jennings and
Adrian Farrel) come to the conclusion that RAO is the least problematic
choice for the experimental version of GIST. It is clear that RAO do
have some issues and implications. The filtering that occur in networks
for RAO have implications on where GIST will function.

So to resolve these discusses IESG do request that you go back to using
RAO as the interception technique in GIST. The applicability statement
also need to note that due to the usage of RAO filtering that occur in
the network, for example at AS boundaries the function of GIST will be
limited so certain domains.

There are still concerns about the risk with RAO in affecting the
routers control plane. So IESG encourages the interested individuals to
continue to engage in the work on RAO clarification and possibly looking
into other techniques that removes these issues. These seems important
for any future usage of GIST with less limited scope.

Best Regards

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------