Subject: [NSIS] Document Action: 'NSIS Operation Over IP Tunnels' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:37:11 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'NSIS Operation Over IP Tunnels'
  (draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-13.txt) as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Next Steps in Signaling Working
Group.

The IESG contact person is Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel/

Technical Summary

NSIS Quality of Service (QoS) signaling enables applications to perform
QoS reservation along a data flow path.  When the data flow path contains
IP tunnel segments, NSIS QoS signaling has no effect within those tunnel
segments and the resulting QoS-untended tunnel segments could become the
weakest QoS link which may invalidate the QoS efforts in the rest of the
end-to-end path. This document defines a solution to this problem by
mapping end-to-end QoS session requests to corresponding QoS sessions
in the tunnel, thus extending the end-to-end QoS signaling into the IP
tunnel segments.

Working Group Summary

The document is a product of the NSIS working group. The WG has reviewed
the document thoroughly, and it has been an important extension to the
protocol family.

Document Quality

The document is a supplemental document to the core NSIS protocols, and 
extends the core specifications to add support for IP tunnels. The
technical details have been validated as part of the work on NSIS
protocol operation on mobile environments.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Jukka Manner ([email-masked]).
Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) reviewed the document for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

An IPR disclosure was received on draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel while it was in AUTH48
processing. We consequently moved it back into the IESG state, together with
draft-ietf-nsis-applicability-mobility-signaling, which refers to it. We have now
confirmed that the community and the IESG approve publishing these two
documents in full knowledge of the disclosed IPR. Please resume AUTH48
processing of draft-ietf-nsis-applicability-mobility-signaling and 
draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel.