Subject: [ntpwg] Proposal for multiple log file capability

From: Todd Glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:03:00 -0700

I want to propose that we add a new level of logging to the NTP Suite 
and that allows us to specify different logs for different types of 
events. Today all the events are in one log and that means it has to be 
searched at real time continuously which can be a pain to separate and 
track the different types of alarm events in a time management practice.

That said we might consider adding the ability to also add multiple 
logging stream capability to this service...

Just a thought.

Todd Glassey
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg

---

From: David Mills <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 03:37:15 +0000

Todd,

You might get more traction if you include this to [email-masked].

The reference implementation already has multiple log files using the 
filegen facility. You probably already know about the peerstats, 
loopstats and clockstats files. Now there are the systats file that logs 
system statistics of interest to administrators, the protostats file 
that logs protocol events of interest to sysadmins and the cryptostats 
file that logs events of initerest to security folks. We can add more or 
retarget the existing ones. Personally I find the protostats file the 
most useful for everyday watching.

Dave

---

From: Todd Glassey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:33:07 -0700

> You might get more traction if you include this to [email-masked].
That implies that the list management will allow me to post - they don't 
allow me to post on QUESTIONS so maybe not.
> retarget the existing ones. 
Thanks - I agree with you that the stats files are pretty much the cats 
meow for creating reliable plotting but I think we need to also put a 
time-management daemon into the mix (in addition to NTPD) so that the 
policies can optionally trigger other events like SNMP Traps or RMON 
events and the like.
> Personally I find the protostats file the 
The protostats are a good start but as I said - I want to re-target the 
logging and policy controls.

Todd
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
> Version: 8.5.422 / Virus Database: 270.14.20/2444 - Release Date: 10/18/09 09:04:00
>
>

---

From: Brian Utterback <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:43:26 -0400

Perhaps you might want to propose what you have in mind. What types of 
events did you have in mind?

-- 
blu

It's bad civic hygiene to build technologies that could someday be
used to facilitate a police state. - Bruce Schneier
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Utterback - Solaris RPE, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Ph:877-259-7345, Em:brian.utterback-at-ess-you-enn-dot-kom
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.ntp.org/mailman/listinfo/ntpwg