Subject: [ntpwg] IANA Autokey field types

From: Miroslav Lichvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 14:35:28 +0200

As more extension fields are now being proposed and new field types
will need to be assigned, I think it would be good to address the
issue with the IANA autokey field types not matching the types used by
the reference implementation and avoid conflicts with newly assigned
types.

In RFC 5906 the extension field type consists of an R bit, E bit,
6-bit code and 8-bit version. This is what was used for for the IANA
types. In ntpd it's R, E, 6-bit version and 8-bit code. The code and
version are swapped. From the 30 allocated types only the tree 0x?202
types (certificate message) actually match the types used by ntpd.

What's the best way to get it fixed?

I'm not sure if there are any other implementations supporting
autokey. I assume someone would complain about this mismatch when
testing interoperability with ntpd. Could we make a request to change
the 27 types to the ntpd values? If not, can we ask for the missing
types to be assigned as "private"?

-- 
Miroslav Lichvar
_______________________________________________
ntpwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.ntp.org/listinfo/ntpwg