Subject: [Ntp] WGLC: draft-ietf-ntp-data-minimization

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:44:22 +0000

Folks,

This message initiates a two week working group last call for:

NTP Client Data Minimization
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-data-minimization/

Please review the referenced document and send any comments to the mailing list including your assessment of whether this document is mature enough to proceed to the IESG. Please note that these messages of support for progression to the mailing list will be used to determine WG consensus to proceed.

Please send all comments in by COB on Thursday 29 August 2018.

Thanks!
Karen and Dieter

---

From: Miroslav Lichvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 09:11:30 +0200

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 08:44:22PM +0000, Karen O'Donoghue wrote:
> Please review the referenced document and send any comments to the mailing list including your assessment of whether this document is mature enough to proceed to the IESG. Please note that these messages of support for progression to the mailing list will be used to determine WG consensus to proceed..

I support advancing this document.

However, there is an issue I raised before that I think wasn't
addressed yet [1]. At least I have not seen any responses.

To be more specific, I'd suggest to change the first paragraph in the
Acknowledgements to something like this:

  The possibility of minimizing data in client packets was described
  in RFC 2030. Randomization of all bits of the transmit timestamp was
  introduced by Alexander Guy in the rdate program of the OpenBSD
  project.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ntp/current/msg02460.html

-- 
Miroslav Lichvar