Subject: [Ntp] Ignas Bagdonas' No Objection on draft-ietf-ntp-mac-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 08:29:08 -0800

Ignas Bagdonas has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ntp-mac-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-mac/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the implementation status of this, and is there any deployment experience?

---

From: Hal Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:53:23 -0800

> What is the implementation status of this, and is there any deployment experience?

There are at least 2 implementations that interoperate.  If anybody wants to 
test, poke me off-list.

----------

The abstract says:
   RFC 5905 [RFC5905] states that Network Time Protocol (NTP) packets
   should be authenticated by appending a 128-bit key to the NTP data,
   and hashing the result with MD5 to obtain a 128-bit tag.

RFC5905 says:
   Message Digest (digest): 128-bit MD5 hash computed over the key
   followed by the NTP packet header and extensions fields (but not the
   Key Identifier or Message Digest fields).

I think the "appending" should be "prepending" and I think the "128-bit key" 
should be "key".
(I don't know of any requirement that the key be 128 bits.)

-- 
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

---

From: Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 20:22:41 -0800

The Reference Implementation has had this code in public distribution
since ntp-4.2.8p11, released on 27 Feb 2018.

We haven't received any feedback about it.

I remain concerned that this specification requires crypto libraries,
which are not universally distributable.

H
--
On 11/19/18 8:29 AM, Ignas Bagdonas wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp
> 

-- 
Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
http://networktimefoundation.org - be a member!