Subject: Re: [Ntp] Finding leap-seconds.list

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 07:04:26 +0300

IETF nor any other non government agency ascribed with time keeping should be cross posting the LSL. It is created and  is a requirement of NIST (and other Government) related time services. 

It also should be digitally signed as well to authenticate the source of the information in the US and from any other metrology laboratory provider. 

//tsg
Sent from my HTC, so please excuse any typos this keyboard sucks!

----- Reply message -----
From: "Warner Losh" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Martin Burnicki" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Ntp] Finding leap-seconds.list
Date: Thu, Nov 8, 2018 05:56

_______________________________________________
ntp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp

---

From: Steve Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 21:28:44 -0800

On Thu 2018-11-08T07:04:26+0300 [email-masked] hath writ:
> IETF nor any other non government agency ascribed with time keeping
> should be cross posting the LSL.  It is created and is a requirement
> of NIST (and other Government) related time services.

IETF is not the authority for the recent time change in Morocco.
IETF is not the authority for the recent time change in Metlakatla.
Nor for any of the other data in IANA tzdb is IETF the authority.

All of that data is painstakingly gathered by volunteers from a wide
variety of uncooperative sources in order that it is possible to
convert between internal system times and localized civil times.

The leap seconds data are not different in any respect from all of the
other data in the IANA tz database.  Those data are also needed to
convert between internal system times and localized civil times.

If the IETF is going to claim no authority for the leap second
data then please justify the chain of authority for all of the
rest of the IANA tzdb, or else delete all of that as well.

--
Steve Allen                    <[email-masked]>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855
1156 High Street               Voice: +1 831 459 3046         Lng -122.06015
Santa Cruz, CA 95064           http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/   Hgt +250 m

---

From: Kurt Roeckx <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 09:27:17 +0100

> rest of the IANA tzdb, or else delete all of that as well.

If you want to claim some authority over the leap second data,
it's the IERS. But as far as I know, they don't publish such a
file, and NIST just has been doing this historically.

Anybody can really update that file. And IANA seems to be
collecting all that data, and probably gets that file from NIST.
I see no problem considering IANA to be a useful source of it, even
if it's not the official authorative source.

The tzdb people seem to use:
ftp://ftp.nist.gov/pub/time/leap-seconds.list
ftp://ftp.boulder.nist.gov/pub/time/leap-seconds.list
ftp://tycho.usno.navy.mil/pub/ntp/leap-seconds.list

Where the first is a geo located server and ftp is most likely not
working.

Kurt

---

From: Kurt Roeckx <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 09:28:56 +0100

> Where the first is a geo located server and ftp is most likely not

It's of course time.nist.gov that is geo located, but where some
of those servers run ftp and where you can also get that file.

Kurt