Subject: Re: [Ntp] WGLC: draft-ietf-ntp-data-minimization

From: Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 14:20:45 -0800

I am supportive of the goals of this document.

I believe it should not be advanced at this time because there are some
cases that I sadly don't have time to enumerate right now, but many of
them have been mentioned on this list.

I will get a more detailed message sent to this list as soon as I can.

To the best of my knowledge, this proposal doesn't provide any new
content - 5905 already allows for all of the techniques described.

The big issues for me go to the (sometimes sweeping) recommendations
made by this document.

While people can get in to trouble if they blindly implement 5905 or
configure NTP to provide "full" information, people will get in to just
as much trouble if they blindly implement data minimization.

If "guidance" information is not appropriate for this RFC, then both it
and 5905 should include a pointer to "guidance" information.

Is the BCP document an appropriate place for that guidance information?

-- 
Harlan Stenn <[email-masked]>
http://networktimefoundation.org - be a member!