Subject: Re: [Ntp] WGLC: draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 03:38:23 +0000

A YANG Data Model for NTP
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model/

I read this document.  (To be frank, I skimmed through much of the yang declarations.)  I have concerns with the yang intent of putting everything the IETF does into yang and its configuration. Do we really want to add remote interfaces to manipulate and configure autokey, for example? Because of this, I am opposed to having this as a standards-track document.

Was there much discussion of this document on the WG list?  I didn't see much looking for yang in the archives. Notably, I didn't see the call for adoption -- anyone have a link?

---

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 19:50:22 +0530

Hi Rich,

Thanks for reading, well skimming :)

More inline...

> I read this document.  (To be frank, I skimmed through much of the yang declarations.)  I have concerns with the yang intent of putting everything the IETF does into yang and its configuration. Do…

By remote interface, do you mean "peer-interface"? Note that, it is
read only and not configurable. You would notice multiple leaves in
the tree with "ro" prefix at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-07#section-2,
all of these are "read-only" and not configurable.

Also we do not support auto-key in this YANG model. Our authentication
is limited to basic key management
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-yang-data-model-07#section-6).

If you see some "rw" nodes that should not be allowed to be
configured, please let us known?

> Was there much discussion of this document on the WG list?  I didn't see much looking for yang in the archives. Notably, I didn't see the call for adoption -- anyone have a link?

Here is the call for adoption -
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ntp/RC77itwfYzEJl1DLYosbLYUkrp4

Draft did get some some early discussion, not much after WG adoption
though, the state of the Yang Model was updated during WG meetings.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ntp/cVLZeydJACdCqgs8EcP7jLvm3OM
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ntp/qgfukmwiEkpczwKMAZAjHK_tHeQ
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ntp/q9F3HNGlOtxI4FsuccDZG0BWRN4

Thanks!
Dhruv

>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ntp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ntp

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:26:07 +0000

Thanks for the reply, Dhruv!

Being a YANG newbie, I missed some of the rw/ro considerations.

I don't object to this doc any more. :)