Subject: [nvo3] Last Call: <draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-03.txt> (Problem Statement: Overlays for Network Virtualization) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 10:33:40 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Network Virtualization Overlays
WG (nvo3) to consider the following document:
- 'Problem Statement: Overlays for Network Virtualization'
  <draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-03.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-06-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes issues associated with providing multi-
   tenancy in large data center networks and how these issues may be
   addressed using an overlay-based network virtualization approach.  A
   key multi-tenancy requirement is traffic isolation, so that one
   tenant's traffic is not visible to any other tenant.  Another
   requirement is address space isolation, so that different tenants can
   use the same address space within different virtual networks.
   Traffic and address space isolation is achieved by assigning one or
   more virtual networks to each tenant, where traffic within a virtual
   network can only cross into another virtual network in a controlled
   fashion (e.g., via a configured router and/or a security gateway).
   Additional functionality is required to provision virtual networks,
   associating a virtual machine's network interface(s) with the
   appropriate virtual network, and maintaining that association as the
   virtual machine is activated, migrated and/or deactivated.  Use of an
   overlay-based approach enables scalable deployment on large network
   infrastructures.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.