Subject: [nvo3] Questions to your draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-02

From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 22:15:32 +0000

Tom,

Your draft 3.1 suggests that the "locator" is encoded in the address. Does it mean if the application is moved to a different "container", the application will have a different address (as the locator has changed)?

Thanks,

Linda

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 16:49:44 -0700

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Tom,
>
>
>
> Your draft 3.1 suggests that the “locator” is encoded in the address. Does
> it mean if the application is moved to a different “container”, the
> application will have a different address (as the locator has changed)?
>
The address on the wire would change, not the addresses that an
application sees. The basic sequence of ILA translation is something
like: SIR:ID->Loc:ID->SIR:ID. So applications in both sides in the
network only see the SIR addresses. Translation from SIR to ILA
address and back can be done as end hosts or in the network which I
believes adheres to the NVE model (the latter might imply some L2
forwarding to final end host).

Tom