Subject: [nvo3] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-07: (with COMMENT)

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 09:28:47 -0700

Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-arch/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Two tiny comments:
- Call section 4.5 "Virtual Access Point (VAP)" instead of only "VAP"
-  I don't really understand this: "As is the case for L2VPN, there is a
client/server relationship
   between the overlay and underlay networks..." How do the terms client
and server help me here?

More general:
I was hoping to find a discussion on how existing protocols would be
applicable to the three needed control protocols. Also do these three
protocols need to be three different protocols or could all three cases
potentially be covered by the same protocol (because the protocol
mechanisms are the same and maybe even sometimes the same information
needs to be exchanged)?

---

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 00:15:15 +0000

Hi Mirja,

David> Inline ...

Thanks, --David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mirja Kuehlewind [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:29 PM
> To: The IESG
> Cc: [email-masked]; Matthew Bocci; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-07: (with
> COMMENT)
> 

David> Done.

>    between the overlay and underlay networks..." How do the terms client

Ok, they don't ;-).  These were taken from RFC 6136 (L2VPN OAM) discussion,
primarily of fault management.  However, it's not necessary to reuse those
terms here, as the relationship to RFC 6136 covered in the immediately prior
paragraph.  I rewrote this to:

The relationship between the overlay and underlay networks is a consideration for
fault and performance management -

> mechanisms are the same and maybe even sometimes the same information

That's a matter best left to future drafts from the nvo3 WG.

IMHO, the three needed protocols (NVE-to-NVA, NVA federation, split-NVE),
are sufficiently different that we're unlikely to see one protocol cover even
two of the three scenarios, especially as IEEE's VDP protocol has  emerged
as the preferred split-NVE protocol.

---

From: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:53:39 +0200

Okay, thanks!

> Am 20.09.2016 um 02:15 schrieb Black, David <[email-masked]>:
> 
> Hi Mirja,
> 
> David> Inline ...
> 
> Thanks, --David
>