Subject: [nvo3] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:55:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Virtualization Overlays of the IETF.

        Title           : Geneve: Generic Network Virtualization Encapsulation
        Authors         : Jesse Gross
                          Ilango Ganga
                          T. Sridhar
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-04.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2017-03-13

Abstract:
   Network virtualization involves the cooperation of devices with a
   wide variety of capabilities such as software and hardware tunnel
   endpoints, transit fabrics, and centralized control clusters.  As a
   result of their role in tying together different elements in the
   system, the requirements on tunnels are influenced by all of these
   components.  Flexibility is therefore the most important aspect of a
   tunnel protocol if it is to keep pace with the evolution of the
   system.  This draft describes Geneve, a protocol designed to
   recognize and accommodate these changing capabilities and needs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Ganga, Ilango S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 05:56:20 +0000

Hi All,

As per the direction from the NVO3 virtual interim meeting on Mar 01, 2017, we have updated the Geneve draft to reflect the recommendations from the NVO3 Encap Design Team.

Regards,
Ilango

-----Original Message-----
From: nvo3 [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 2:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [nvo3] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nvo3-geneve-04.txt

Abstract:

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

_______________________________________________
nvo3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 06:08:10 -0700

The new section "Constraints on Protocol Features" seems to be punting
the issues that were raised concerning processing of TLVs to a control
plane which itself is still TDB. This is not normative and if someone
were implementing a dataplane for Geneve today this provides no
practical guidance on how to make it interoperable.

Alternatively, to address the TLV processing concerns, I would suggest:

1) Eliminate non-critical options. This is the most likely source of
DOS attacks where an attacker just fills up a packet with tiny fake
options. The counter argument to this is that it's need to roll out
new features, but TBH I am am skeptical this is really use in the
datacenter for that. It's more typical we just configure the allowed
options on both sides or rely on negotiation to specify the known
options like we do in TCP.
2) Enforce an ordering on options as was discussed previously. Maybe
just require the TLVs to be ordered by type. This eliminates the
combinatorics of TLVs and since it would be a requirement on the
protocol the order is well known and should yield interoperable
implementations.

Tom