Subject: [nvo3] Shepherd writeup for draft-ietf-nvo3-mcast-framework-08

From: Sam Aldrin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 23:49:19 -0700

Shepherd writeup based on the v9 version of the draft.

cheers
-sam

(1) What type of RFC is being requested (BCP, Proposed Standard, Internet
Standard, Informational, Experimental, or Historic)? Why is this the proper
type of RFC? Is this type of RFC indicated in the title page header?

Informational RFC.
It is indicated on the title page header.

(2) The IESG approval announcement includes a Document Announcement
Write-Up. Please provide such a Document Announcement Write-Up. Recent
examples can be found in the "Action" announcements for approved documents.
The approval announcement contains the following sections:
Technical Summary:
   This document discusses a framework of supporting multicast traffic
  in a network that uses Network Virtualization Overlays (NVO3). Both
  infrastructure multicast and application-specific multicast are
  discussed. It describes the various mechanisms that can be used for
  delivering such traffic as well as the data plane and control plane
  considerations for each of the mechanisms.

Working Group Summary:
Was there anything in WG process that is worth noting? For example, was
there controversy about particular points or were there decisions where the
consensus was particularly rough?

This document was extensively discussed within NVo3 and MBONED WG. Many
comments were provided by various members as part of WG adoption and WG LC.
All of the comments were clearly answered and the draft got updated
appropriately. There were no controversial or pending issues remaining.

Document Quality:
Are there existing implementations of the protocol? Have a significant
number of vendors indicated their plan to implement the specification? Are
there any reviewers that merit special mention as having done a thorough
review, e.g., one that resulted in important changes or a conclusion that
the document had no substantive issues? If there was a MIB Doctor, Media
Type or other expert review, what was its course (briefly)? In the case of
a Media Type review, on what date was the request posted?

Authors have indicated that few vendors have implemented the solution and
was deployed as well.

Personnel:
Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area Director?
Document Shepherds - Sam Aldrin
Responsible AD - Alia Atlas

(3) Briefly describe the review of this document that was performed by the
Document Shepherd. If this version of the document is not ready for
publication, please explain why the document is being forwarded to the IESG.

Thoroughly reviewed the document for its content. It is well written and
concise.
All of the emails and review comments pertaining to the document were
reviewed. Cross checked with MBONED WG for the comments and discussion
points. Authors have addressed each of the comments and made necessary
changes as needed.

The documents is ready for publication.

(4) Does the document Shepherd have any concerns about the depth or breadth
of the reviews that have been performed?

There are no concerns.

(5) Do portions of the document need review from a particular or from
broader perspective, e.g., security, operational complexity, AAA, DNS,
DHCP, XML, or internationalization? If so, describe the review that took
place.

This document do not introduce any new security considerations beyond what
is described in NVo3 architecture document RFC 8014.

(6) Describe any specific concerns or issues that the Document Shepherd has
with this document that the Responsible Area Director and/or the IESG
should be aware of? For example, perhaps he or she is uncomfortable with
certain parts of the document, or has concerns whether there really is a
need for it. In any event, if the WG has discussed those issues and has
indicated that it still wishes to advance the document, detail those
concerns here.

None.

(7) Has each author confirmed that any and all appropriate IPR disclosures
required for full conformance with the provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79 have
already been filed. If not, explain why?

An IPR was disclosed (https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2597/). Authors have
confirmed that, apart from the disclosed IPR, no other known IPR exists,
related to this draft.

(8) Has an IPR disclosure been filed that references this document? If so,
summarize any WG discussion and conclusion regarding the IPR disclosures.

IPR disclosure (https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2597/) was submitted using
general procedure. No discussion related to this disclosure happened within
the WG.

(9) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document? Does it represent
the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with others being silent, or
does the WG as a whole understand and agree with it?

WG strongly feel the making this document as Informational RFC.

(10) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
discontent? If so, please summarize the areas of conflict in separate email
messages to the Responsible Area Director. (It should be in a separate
email because this questionnaire is publicly available.)

None.

(11) Identify any ID nits the Document Shepherd has found in this document.
(See http://www.ietf.org/tools/idnits/ and the Internet-Drafts Checklist).
Boilerplate checks are not enough; this check needs to be thorough.

No issues found.

(12) Describe how the document meets any required formal review criteria,
such as the MIB Doctor, media type, and URI type reviews.

Document was reviewed by NVo3 WG and cross referenced by MBONED WG.

(13) Have all references within this document been identified as either
normative or informative?

YES.

(14) Are there normative references to documents that are not ready for
advancement or are otherwise in an unclear state? If such normative
references exist, what is the plan for their completion?

None.

(15) Are there downward normative references references (see RFC 3967)? If
so, list these downward references to support the Area Director in the Last
Call procedure.

None.

(16) Will publication of this document change the status of any existing
RFCs? Are those RFCs listed on the title page header, listed in the
abstract, and discussed in the introduction? If the RFCs are not listed in
the Abstract and Introduction, explain why, and point to the part of the
document where the relationship of this document to the other RFCs is
discussed. If this information is not in the document, explain why the WG
considers it unnecessary.

None.

(17) Describe the Document Shepherd's review of the IANA considerations
section, especially with regard to its consistency with the body of the
document. Confirm that all protocol extensions that the document makes are
associated with the appropriate reservations in IANA registries. Confirm
that any referenced IANA registries have been clearly identified. Confirm
that newly created IANA registries include a detailed specification of the
initial contents for the registry, that allocations procedures for future
registrations are defined, and a reasonable name for the new registry has
been suggested (see RFC 5226).

No new IANA registrations requested.

(18) List any new IANA registries that require Expert Review for future
allocations. Provide any public guidance that the IESG would find useful in
selecting the IANA Experts for these new registries.

None.

(19) Describe reviews and automated checks performed by the Document
Shepherd to validate sections of the document written in a formal language,
such as XML code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc.

None.