Subject: Re: error in draft 07, section 5.1 ?

From: Hal Finney <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 14:42:52 -0700

Werner Koch, <[email-masked]>, writes:
> >From section 5.1:
>
> > algorithm used to encrypt the following Symmetrically Encrypted Data
> > Packet.  Then a two-octet checksum is appended which is equal to the
> > sum of the preceding octets, including the algorithm identifier and
> > session key, modulo 65536.   algorithm used to encrypt the following
>
> I don't see that the algorithm identifier is included in the checksum.
> Both, gnupg and opgpg 0.99x, don't include the algorithm in the
> checksum and interoperation with pgp 5.x is okay.

Yes, you appear to be correct.  The algorithm identifier is not included
in the checksum.

Hal Finney

---

From: Ian BROWN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:13:33 +0200

>Yes, you appear to be correct.  The algorithm identifier is not included

Did nobody notice the three messages that Ulf Moller and I sent about this 
starting more than a month ago?

Ian.

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 13:48:57 -0700

I noticed. The -07 draft had modifications in it from your comments.

	Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  [email-masked]
CTO, Total Network Security                 3965 Freedom Circle
Network Associates, Inc.                    Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 346-5860                              
Fingerprints: D1EC 3C51 FCB1 67F8 4345 4A04 7DF9 C2E6 F129 27A9 (DSS)
              665B 797F 37D1 C240 53AC 6D87 3A60 4628           (RSA)