Subject: Subkey Implementation Question

From: "William H. Geiger III" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 22:10:24 -0500

I have a question regarding how people are using subkeys. I understand a
couple of uses for subkeys:

Multiple encryption keys using different algorithms (ie a RSA key & an
ElGamal key) or for allowing new encryption keys to be added after a
previous key has expired without effecting WOT on the signing key.

What other ways are people using subkeys and what issues of subkey
management have they addressed?

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------
William H. Geiger III  http://www.openpgp.net
Geiger Consulting    Cooking With Warp 4.0

Author of E-Secure - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice
PGP & MR/2 the only way for secure e-mail.
OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://www.openpgp.net/pgp.html
Talk About PGP on IRC EFNet Channel: #pgp Nick: whgiii

Hi Jeff!! :)
---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Lutz Donnerhacke)
Date: 30 Aug 1999 14:39:05 GMT

>previous key has expired without effecting WOT on the signing key.

Important subject, but not the design issue.

>management have they addressed?

ElGamal keys in NAI implementation are unable to sign anything. So a signing
key was needed.