Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: DHC recharter

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:03:28 +0200

Comments from the OPS area would be welcome. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:31 PM
To: IESG; IAB
Cc: Dhc Chairs
Subject: DHC recharter

Secretary (Bcced),

Please put DHC WG rechartering to the next IESG telechat agenda. (Under
category "consideration for IETF review".)

IESG, IAB: this is a fairly major update of the DHC charter.
The new charter has more specific rules about what the group can and
cannot do with regards to DHC option development. And there's an updated
specification of how DHC WG and other WGs work together when a new
option is needed.

Work that has been completed has been taken out of the charter. Work
that has not generated enough energy has been taken out.

I see no evidence of interest in DHCP security, other than the DSL Forum
demands, but I think we should take those separately. (I.e., decide
whether those make sense and if they do, recharter again.) As a result
we have taken out the authentication work entirely.

Comments appreciated. The charter has been discussed in the WG list and
in one of the previous meetings; the version below is a changed one
based on discussions between the chairs and the AD. It has also been
posted for WG comment; I expect that to conclude before our next
telechat.

Jari

----

The dhc working group (DHC WG) has developed DHCP for automated
allocation, configuration and management of IP addresses and TCP/IP
protocol stack parameters. DHCPv4 is currently a "Draft Standard" and is
documented in RFC 2131 and RFC 2132.  DHCPv6 is currently a "Proposed
Standard" and is documented in RFC 3315.  Subsequent RFCs document
additional options and other enhancements to the specifications.

The DHC WG is responsible for reviewing DHCP options or other extensions
(for both IPv4 and IPv6). The DHC WG is expected to review all proposed
extensions to DHCP to ensure that they are consistent with the DHCP
specification and other option formats, that they do not duplicate
existing mechanisms, etc.  Generally speaking, the DHC WG will not be
responsible for evaluating the semantic content of proposed options.
Similarly, the ownership of specifications typically belongs the
relevant working group that needs more functionality from DHCP, not the
DHC WG. The DHC WG coordinates reviews of the proposed options together
with those working groups. It is required that those working groups have
consensus to take on the work and that the work is within their charter.
Exceptionally, with AD agreement, this same process can also be used for
Individual Submissions originating outside WGs.

However, the DHC WG can in some cases develop its own options that
relate to either maintenance of existing specifications or improvements
in the operation of the DHCP infrastructure itself.

The DHC WG has the following main objectives:

* Develop extensions to the DHCP infrastructure as required to meet
  new applications and deployments of DHCP. The topics currently
  in development are:

    - Subnet allocation mechanisms
    - Virtual subnet identification option
    - Option for passing DNS domain information in DHCPv6
    - DHCP relay agent assignment notification in DHCPv6
    - Option for DHCPv6 server reply sequence numbers
    - Rebinding capability for DHCPv6 Reconfigure messages

  The adoption of new items requires explicit agreement from
  the AD or rechartering.

* Write analyses of the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications,
  including RFC 2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and other RFCs defining
  additional options, which identifies ambiguities, contradictory
  specifications and other obstacles to development of interoperable
  implementations. Recommend a process for resolving identified
  problems and incorporating the resolutions into the DHCP
  specification.

  Secondly, advance DHCPv4 (RFC 2131 and RFC 2132) and DHCPv6 (RFC
  3315) in IETF Standards Track.

  Thirdly, specify guidelines for creating new DHCP options.

* Assess the requirements for a dual-stack host to use DHCP to obtain
  configuration settings for both IPv4 and IPv6.  Hosts that include
  implementations of both IPv4 and IPv6 ("dual-stack hosts") may use
  DHCP to obtain configuration settings (including assigned addresses)
  for both IPv4 and IPv6.  The DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 specifications (RFC
  2131, RFC 2132, RFC 3315 and subsequent RFCs) do not explicitly
  explain how a dual-stack host uses DHCP to obtain configuration
  settings for both IP stacks.  The DHC WG will evaluate solutions for
  configuration of dual-stack hosts through DHCP and select a solution
  that will be developed and published by the WG.

Milestones:

Done   WG last call for "Subnet Allocation Option"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04>
Done   WG last call on "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
       <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option>
Oct 07 Submit "Subnet Allocation Option"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-subnet-alloc-04> to IESG
       for Proposed Standard
Nov 07 WG last call on "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines>
Nov 07 Submit "Virtual Subnet Selection Option",
       <draft-ietf-dhc-vpn-option> and <draft-ietf-dhc-agent-vpn-id>
       to IESG for Proposed Standard
Dec 07 WG last call for "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain>
Jan 08 Submit "Domain Suffix Option for DHCPv6"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-dnsdomain> to IESG
       for Proposed Standard
Jan 08 Submit "Guidelines for Creating New DHCP Options"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines> to IESG for Best Current
       Practice
Jan 08 Develop plan for advancing DHCPv4 and DHCPv6; plan to include
       completion of DHCPv4 specification review report,
       "Implementation Issues with RFC 2131"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-implementation-02> for Informational Feb 08 WG
last call for "Dual-stack clients and merging of data from
       DHCPv4 and DHCPv6" <draft-ietf-dhc-dual-stack-merge-01.txt>;
       waiting for more experience with IPv6 deployment Feb 08 WG last
call for "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure
       Messages" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00>
Apr 08 2nd WG last call for "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification
       Option" <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and
       "DHCPv6 Server Reply Sequence Number Option"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00>
May 08 Submit "Rebind Capability in DHCPv6 Reconfigure Messages"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-reconfigure-rebind-00> to IESG for
       Proposed Standard
Jul 08 Submit "DHCP Relay Agent Assignment Notification Option"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-agentopt-delegate-01> and "DHCPv6 Server
       Reply Sequence Number Option"
       <draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-srsn-option-00> to IESG for
       Proposed Standard
Jul 08 Recharter for more work

_______________________________________________
OPS-AREA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area