Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: WG Review: Recharter of Multiparty Multimedia Session Control (mmusic)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:51:49 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 2:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Recharter of Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
(mmusic) 

A modified charter has been submitted for the Multiparty Multimedia
Session Control working group in the Real-time Applications and
Infrastructure Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made any
determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Wednesday, April 9, 2008.

Multiparty Multimedia Session Control (mmusic)
----------------------------------------------

Last Modified: 2008-3-27

Current Status: Active Working Group

Description of Working Group:

The Multiparty MUltimedia SessIon Control (MMUSIC) Working Group was
chartered to develop protocols to support Internet teleconferencing and
multimedia communications. These protocols are now reasonably mature,
and many have received widespread deployments. The group has revised
some of these protocols in the light of implementation experience and
additional demands that have arisen from other WGs (such as AVT, SIP,
and SIPPING). It is focused on using and negotiating mechanisms such
STUN and TURN in order to enable media sessions to traverse Network
Address Translators NATs, and on new means to exchange SDP capabilities.

Multimedia communications protocols use a common platform to express
media and session descriptions: the Session Description Protocol, SDP.
The many uses of SDP have led to (requests for) numerous extensions and
have led to recognition of several flaws in the protocol design, some of
which were addressed in the revision of SDP. In spite of these, it is
widely deployed.

The current aims of the working group include the following:

- To support the establishment of multi-party multimedia sessions across
NATs, MMUSIC will define an Internet Connectivity Establishment protocol
(ICE). This will define several SDP extensions to work with NATs for
media sessions carried over both UDP and TCP.

- Various extensions to SDP will be pursued to remedy the most urgent of
SDP's shortcomings. These will be limited and include adding support for
limited but generic capability negotiations in SDP, defining the means
to select QoS mechanisms to use for a particular media stream, enabling
file transfer via the SDP Offer/Answer model, and support for media
loopback.

With the exception of these specific items, only extensions within the
existing SDP framework will be done (e.g. registering new codecs and
defining parameters for them, extending SDP to include new address
families).

- to maintain and revise the specification of the Real Time Streaming
Protocol (RTSP), including fixes and clarifications based on
implementation experience. The revised RTSP specification will be
re-issued as a Proposed Standard RFC. We will also document how RTSP can
be used in the presence of NAT boxes.

The MMUSIC work items will be pursued in close coordination with other
IETF WGs including AVT, SIP, SIPPING, SIMPLE, XCON, and BEHAVE, as well
as others where appropriate such as NSIS.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit SDP to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
Done Submit RTSP to IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
Done Submit SIP Internet-Draft to IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard.
Done Submit SAP Internet-Draft to IESG for consideration as a Proposed
Standard.
Done Submit SAP Security Internet-Draft to IESG for consideration as a
Proposed Standard.
Done Submit IPv6 Extensions to SDP for Proposed Standard Done Submit
SIP's offer/answer use of SDP for Proposed Standard Done Submit SDP
source filter extensions for Proposed Standard Done Submit draft on
SDPng motivations, comparisons with current SDP capabilities.
Done Submit SDP security extension for Proposed Standard Done Submit IMG
requirements and framework for Informational Done Submit revised SDP
spec for Proposed (or Draft) Standard Done Submit SDP Offer/Answer
examples for Informational Done Submit SDP connection-oriented media
draft for Proposed Standard Cancelled Submit SDPng transition scenarios
for Informational Done Submit updated SDP Offer/Answer examples draft
for Informational Done Submit Security preconditions for SDP for
Proposed Standard Done Submit ICE draft as a Proposed Standard

February 2008 Submit SDP Capability Negotiations to Proposed Standard
February 2008 Submit QoS Mechanism Selection in SDP as a Proposed
Standard February 2008 Submit SDP Offer/Answer exchange for enabling
file transfer as a Proposed Standard March 2008 Submit SDP extensions
for Media Loopback for Proposed Standard March 2008 Submit
Source-Specific Media Attributes in SDP as Proposed Standard March 2008
Submit Considerations for using SDP offer/answer with middleboxes for
BCP April 2008 Submit Connectivity Preconditions for SDP Media Streams
as Proposed Standard September 2008 Submit ICE-TCP draft as a Proposed
Standard December 2008 Submit revised RTSP spec for Proposed or Draft
Standard (as appropriate) December 2008 Submit RTSP NAT considerations
draft January 2010 Submit revised SDP specification to IETF for Proposed
Standard

_______________________________________________
OPS-AREA mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area