Subject: [OPS-NM] SIGCOMM Workshop on Internet Network Management

From: Sanjai Narain <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:01:58 -0500

Please consider submitting to this workshop. -- Sanjai

INM’07 (Five 9’s)
Workshop on Designing and Managing High Availability Internet Services

Date: Friday, August 31, 2007
Place: Kyoto, Japan
In conjunction with ACM SIGCOMM

The design goal for voice networks is traditionally 99.999% or *five
9’s* of availability. Though the Internet Protocol was designed to
provide *best effort* service, IP networks are now an essential part
of our communications infrastructure, with corresponding expectations
of high availability. Yet, in many ways, management of IP networks
remains a challenge, based more on ad-hoc tools than well-established
principles. IP networks are prone to failures not only as a result of
hardware faults, but also due to software bugs, misconfiguration,
human errors, malicious users, and inadequate network management
tools, exacerbated by the huge scale and diversity of the networks. In
addition, with the growth of IP overlay applications, service
providers must take into account both the health of the network and
that of the (typically) distributed applications infrastructure,
raising the ante from *simple* network management to end-to-end
service management. As a result, while IP networks and applications
generally work well, the *last 9* is an elusive goal and the
challenges continue to increase. This workshop broadens the theme of
INM’06 to explore both network and application service management, in
the context of user expectations of high availability. The scope
ranges from large scale backbone networks to end-to-end application
performance and availability.

We are interested in questions such as the following: What metrics
should be used to measure network and service availability and
performance? How can overlay applications be designed to be resilient
to failures, or to be managed effectively in the presence of failures?
Given that routers and servers fail and are taken out of service
periodically, what techniques for planned maintenance, redundancy and
fail-over can be used, and what is their performance? What approaches
are needed for network and software configuration given the thousands
of elements and software modules that must be patched and updated in a
live network? Given the large volumes of *telemetry* data that is
available from networks and servers, what tools can be used to
facilitate rapid fault detection, isolation and remediation? Topics
for consideration include:

* measurement of and metrics for service availability and performance;
* designing reliable systems from unreliable components;
* the cost of building available systems;
* analysis of network-wide and systems configuration issues;
* system design, specification, and validation techniques;
* fault and performance management;
* control plane stability and failure resilience;
* data plane performance, availability and management;
* management of distributed application overlays;
* resilient protocols and applications;
* survivability modeling tools and approaches;
* impact of security on availability;
* adaptive networks.

The workshop solicits papers on completed work, position papers,
and/or work-in-progress papers on the challenges raised above. Papers
that bring out new and interesting approaches at an early stage of
their development are very welcome.

Submission guidelines Submissions must be no greater than 6 pages in
length, must be a pdf file, and must follow the formatting guidelines
at http://www.sigcomm.org/sigcomm2007/workshoppsg.html. Submissions
that deviate from these guidelines will be rejected without
consideration. Reviews will be single-blind: authors name and
affiliation should be included in the submission. Papers may be
submitted at the following URL: to-be-announced. Authors of accepted
papers are expected to present their papers at the workshop.
Submissions must be original work not under review at any other
workshop, conference, or journal.

Dates
* Abstract Registration Deadline: 26 April 2007
* Paper Submission Deadline: 3 May 2007
* Notification of Acceptance: 31 May 2007
* Camera Ready Deadline: 13 June 2007
* Workshop Date: 31 August 2007

INM’07 Co-chairs
* Chuck Kalmanek (AT&T Labs)
* Richard Mortier (Microsoft Research)
* Geoffrey Xie (Naval Postgraduate Institute)

INM ’07 Technical Program Committee
* Eugene Ng (Rice University)
* Nick Feamster (Georgia Tech)
* Yin Zhang (UT Austin)
* Gianluca Iannaccone (Intel Research)
* Farnam Jahanian (University of Michigan)
* Patrick McDaniel (Pennsylvania State University)
* Rolf Stadler (KTH)
* Dah Ming Chiu (Chinese Univ. HK)
* Chuanyi Ji (George Tech)
* Sanjai Narain (Telcordia)
* Keisuke Ishibashi (NTT)
* Jennifer Rexford (Princeton University)
* Peter Sewell (Cambridge University)
* Sanjay Rao (Purdue University)
* Ken Calvert (University of Kentucky)
* Sue Moon (KAIST)
* Divesh Verma (IBM)
* Ran Atkinson (Extreme Networks)
* Emre Kiciman (Microsoft Research)
* Nick Duffield (AT&T Labs)
* Tim Griffin (Cambridge University)
* Ehab El-Shaer (DePaul University)

-- 
Sanjai Narain, Ph.D.
Senior Research Scientist
Information Assurance and Security Department
Telcordia Technologies, Inc. 
1 Telcordia Drive, Room 1N-375
Piscataway, NJ 08854
732 699 2806 (T)
908 337 3636 (M)
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
OPS-NM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-nm