Subject: [OPSAWG] WGLC for draft-ietf-opsawg-snmp-engineid-discovery-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (Scott O. Bradner)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:00:43 -0500 (EST)

This starts a working group last call for "Simple Network Management
Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery"
<draft-ietf-opsawg-snmp-engineid-discovery-00.txt> for publication as a
Proposed Standard RFC

please review and comment on the list before Jan 7th

Thanks 

Scott & Ted

_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:44:23 +0100

Here are my comments, speaking as a contributor. 

1. section 2 - I find confusing saying that 'the contextEngineID is a
binary value constructed according to the rules defined as part of the
SnmpEngineID textual convention of the SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB [RFC3411]' In
3411 SnmpEngineID has a SYNTAX of OCTET STRING and within it only
specific bits define the value of snmpEngineID/contextEngineID.
Clarification and more details would be useful here I think.

2. section 3.2 - point 4) in the discovery procedure is not always
executed, but only when the retrieval operation described at 3) is not
successful. It would be useful to mention this, and maybe merge 4) into
3), as discovery is discontinued in both cases, I think. 

3. section 4 - s/four ctets/four octets/

4. same - add editor note that RFCXXXX is this document

5. because of the IANA consideration section I think it is appropriate
to mention that the document updates RFC3412

6. section 5 - It looks appropriate to capitalize RECOMMENDED in 'In
particular, it is recommended to protect the discovery exchange.'
Similarly NOT RECOMMENDED in the following paragraph. 

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Scott O. Bradner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:01 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [OPSAWG] WGLC for 
> draft-ietf-opsawg-snmp-engineid-discovery-00.txt
> 
> 
> This starts a working group last call for "Simple Network 
> Management Protocol (SNMP) Context EngineID Discovery"
> <draft-ietf-opsawg-snmp-engineid-discovery-00.txt> for 
> publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
>