Subject: [OPSAWG] SMI to XSD Translations.ppt

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:10:57 -0800

_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:22:37 +0100

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 11:10:57AM -0800, David Harrington wrote:

[...]

It might be nice to explain what precisely you want to translate and
whether you mean SMIv2 when you say SMI or something else.

a) The SMIv2 builtin types are kind of trivial.

b) The TCs are a bit more interesting but generally doable without
   being usage specific.

c) Scalars and tables are likely somewhat difficult if you plan to be
   usage agnostic.

d) Notifications are also likely somewhat difficult, but I expect them
   to be perhaps slightly easier than scalars and tables.

e) Conformance definition - any use for translating them?

f) Agent capabilities - any use for translating them?

Once it is clear which letter combination you want, it might be useful
to say how you plan to get there - one big step (work item) or several
little steps (work items) in some order.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:04:27 -0800

Hi Juergen,

Sorry you aren't here to participate. Hopefully you'll be on jabber.

I expect the work will focus on rfc2578 (types) and rfc2579 (TCs)
first. We considered translating all the "common TCs" listed on the
OPS web page, but that is a somehat slippery slope, so that should
probably be discussed.

I consider the primary purpose to allow access to existing MIB models.
I do not think conformance translations are necessary, since they are
not sent on the wire. Agent capabilities are also never sent, just an
identifier, so they shouldn't require translation either. 

I think usage will impact some of the translations, and we will need
to decide how to handle the potential need for different translations.

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:23 PM
> To: David Harrington
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] SMI to XSD Translations.ppt
>