Subject: [OPSAWG] comments on draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 13:45:05 +0100

Hi,

I took a quick look at this I-D and one thing that I observed is that
ICMP is only mentioned in the context with ping, but I believe it is
equally important for traceroute and I suggest that the text is
modified to cover this important usage of ICMP as well.

Section 3.2.5 slightly touches on the terms fault and failure. While
it is (unfortunately) true that these terms are often used
interchangeably, there are definitions of these terms coming from the
dependability research community, that is pretty well worked out. The
basic idea is that a fault is the cause of a failure of a system. Note
that a fault does not necessarily lead to a failure (e.g. a fault in a
network interface that is currently not used does not lead to a
failure of a router). Systems can also be designed to handle faults,
e.g. a backup interface might take over if the primary interface
fails, preventing the fault from becoming a system failure. Since the
I-D is an overview and most people are sloppy with these terms, this
does likely not require a change to the document. However, I believe
[1] is a worthwhile reading for anybody interested in such terminology
issues and hence I thought I mention this here.

/js

[1] http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TDSC.2004.2

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:50:47 +0200

Hi Juergen,

Regarding the first issue - you are right, and I will add traceroute to the next draft.
Regarding the second item - I will look into it.

Thanks for the feedback!
Tal.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Juergen Schoenwaelder
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 2:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [OPSAWG] comments on draft-ietf-opsawg-oam-overview

Hi,

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg