Subject: [OPSAWG] LLN monitoring/management software

From: Ken Bannister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:51:54 -0400

Is anyone aware of open source network monitoring/management software 
that has been extended to support a 6LoWPAN (802.15.4) LLN? I am casting 
a wide net, so SNMP, NETCONF, or some other interface is fine. I am 
interested in monitoring/management of link layer, RPL, and have an eye 
toward the work the 6TiSCH group is doing.

I have not found much myself, but here are a few related items/references:

* 6PANview, which is specific to LLNs [1]
* "Management of the Internet of Things" presentation [2]
* Recent drafts in opsawg that are collecting requirements and use cases 
on this subject

[1] http://www.ece.iisc.ernet.in/6panview/
[2] http://cnds.eecs.jacobs-university.de/slides/2013-im-iot-management.pdf

Thanks,
Ken Bannister

---

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:18:02 -0700

Ken,

you may be interested in the 6lo WG. We have adopted a MIB module document
for 6lowpan interfaces:
draft-ietf-6lo-lowpan-mib-00

There was also some discussion on the COMAN mailing list:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/coman/current/maillist.html

While this group never initiated a BoF, some of the outcome has been
adopted in this WG (as you already mentioned):
draft-ietf-opsawg-coman-probstate-reqs-01
draft-ietf-opsawg-coman-use-cases-01

There is an individual draft for a MIB module for RPL, but I don't know the
status of it:
draft-sehgal-roll-rpl-mib-06

Best regards
Ulrich

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Ken Bannister <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is anyone aware of open source network monitoring/management software that
> has been extended to support a 6LoWPAN (802.15.4) LLN? I am casting a wide
> net, so SNMP, NETCONF, or some other interface is fine. I am interested in
> monitoring/management of link layer, RPL, and have an eye toward the work
> the 6TiSCH group is doing.
>
> _______________________________________________
> OPSAWG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 20:34:07 +0100

Hi,

we do have an open source SNMP implementation running on Contiki
supporting a draft version of the LOWPAN-MIB:

http://cnds.eecs.jacobs-university.de/software/contiki-snmp/
http://cnds.eecs.jacobs-university.de/the-6lowpan-mib-testbed/

We also have an implementation of a draft version of the RPL-MIB.

Some time ago, we worked on something we called 'NETCONF Light'
(implemented under Contiki) but NETCONF is somewhat difficult to
support on constrained devices. A mapping of RESTCONF to CoAP may make
more sense on constrained devices (but this right now more of an idea
than running code).

/js

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 12:51:54PM -0400, Ken Bannister wrote:
> Is anyone aware of open source network monitoring/management
> software that has been extended to support a 6LoWPAN (802.15.4) LLN?
> I am casting a wide net, so SNMP, NETCONF, or some other interface
> is fine. I am interested in monitoring/management of link layer,
> RPL, and have an eye toward the work the 6TiSCH group is doing.
> 
> * Recent drafts in opsawg that are collecting requirements and use
> cases on this subject
> 

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>