Subject: [OPSAWG] IoT & Network Management

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 14:53:13 +0200

Hi all,

after I listened to Juergen's presentation in the CORE working group at
the last IETF meeting about 'constrained management' I was wondering
about the following aspect:

More and more devices (specifically IoT devices) come with a built-in
software update mechanism (even at different levels). For example, you
can see firmware update mechanisms, the ability to update individual
files (if there is a file system), or package managers being used.

The configuration data and the code is often treated in the same way and
also updated using the same style (to better deal with the constrained
nature of these devices).

I am wondering what the role of traditional network management protocols
actually is.

Why would I add, let's say, SNMP to my IoT device to configure the
device or to retrieve sensor information when I anyway have to provide a
software update mechanism together with some application layer protocol
(like CoAP)?

Ciao
Hannes