Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Call for review draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 20:58:07 -0400

The document looks reasonable, but I have no idea how much it fits with 
current product plans. I can see potential for SFC to be an application 
of the system. OpenV6/SUPA could be a part of it.

There are editorials and nits, but I figured it was a bit early to call 
those out.

Tom Taylor

On 25/07/2014 2:02 PM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The authors of draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture are in the process of
> requesting AD-sponsored publication of draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture
>
> This I-D is a bit of an architecture and a bit an applicability statement. It is
> also significantly about how to build and operate networks.
>
> The last call will obviously pop out sometime, but it would be nice to have
> review comments before then.
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
> _______________________________________________
> OPSAWG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg
>

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 11:58:41 +0100

Thanks Tom,

Useful to have an extra pair of eyes.

Our intent in writing the document was to show that most (but not all) building
blocks are in place and just need to be arranged in the right order. We were a
little frustrated to see folk out in the woods trying to invent wheels.

Somewhat to the authors' surprise (but not to our objection) we have become
aware of two service providers who have implemented experimental network
management systems based on this architecture. One of them did a public demo of
an integrated packet/optical system using hardware from a packet vendor and an
optical vendor. We are also aware of a third service provider planning to
resource an experimental platform also based on the architecture.  Additionally,
there are some academic papers indicating university researchers are putting
together systems with this architecture in mind.

Cheers,
Adrian

PS Editorial nits are always welcome.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tom Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 09 August 2014 01:58
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; 'Quintin zhao'
> Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Call for review draft-farrkingel-pce-abno-architecture
>