Subject: [OPSAWG] YANG Alarm Module

From: Stefan Wallin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 08:48:55 +0200

Hi!

We have posted a YANG alarm module: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vallin-alarm-yang-module-00 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vallin-alarm-yang-module-00>

Please review and send any comments and most important of all, is this needed?

Being able to read alarm status and get alarm notifications is a basic
requirement for any manageable device. Device alarm interfaces needs to be
integrated to alarm management systems at service providers.
A standardised interface for that integration would help a lot. Currently,
service providers need to read and understand various proprieatary alarm
interfaces including enterprise specific MIBs. Many devices does not even have
a clear notion of alarms, just events in general.

The telecom industry have been pushing standardised alarm interfaces for every
new generation of mangement interface protocol. This is usually the the first
data-model that is defined in telco standards. IETF did this a bit too late for
SNMP with the Alarm MIB (RFC 3877). All vendors already had implemented alarm
instrumentation and good or bad MIBs, so vendors argued about adding support for
this MIB afterwards and the MIB had to support fairly complex mapping
capabilities to existing proprietary alarm MIBs.

We have a chance to resolve this issue with a Alarm YANG Module. Going forward
vendors will write their own alarm modules if we do not provide an IETF module.

All feed-back welcome!

Module summary:
  This YANG module defines an alarm interface for network devices.  It
  includes functions for alarm list management and notifications to
  inform management systems.  There are also RPCs to manage the
  operator state of an alarm and administrative alarm procedures.  The
  module carefully maps to relevant alarm standards.

br Stefan and Martin