Subject: [OPSAWG] Plans for advancing RFC7860 to full standard?

From: Matjaz Vrecko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 15:11:48 +0200

Dear Johannes and Manfred,

I would appreciate if you could be so kind and please let
me know if there are any plans for advancing RFC-7860 to
full standard level?

I am aware that in order to advance it, IETF would need to
conduct interoperability tests between certain number of
independent implementations. So, here I would like to offer
MG-SOFT's (currently still in the process of adding 7860
features to our SNMP stack, but it will be concluded soon)
SNMP implementation to participate in such interoperability
tests.

We have participated in the past, with our original SNMPv3
stack, as well as at later times, after adding certain
new features to SNMPv3 protocol that were about to be
standardized by IETF (the most recently we successfully
participated in the TLS/DTLS interoperability test).

I am looking forward to receiving your response.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Matjaz

-- 
Matjaz Vrecko
MG-SOFT Corporation, Strma ulica 8, SI-2000 Maribor, Slovenia
Internet: http://www.mg-soft.si/  E-mail: <[email-masked]>
Phone: +386 2 2506565, Fax: +386 2 2506566

---

From: Robert Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 11:17:31 -0400

On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 15:11:48 +0200 Matjaz wrote:
MV> I would appreciate if you could be so kind and please let
MV> me know if there are any plans for advancing RFC-7860 to
MV> full standard level?
MV> 
MV> I am aware that in order to advance it, IETF would need to
MV> conduct interoperability tests between certain number of
MV> independent implementations. So, here I would like to offer
MV> MG-SOFT's (currently still in the process of adding 7860
MV> features to our SNMP stack, but it will be concluded soon)
MV> SNMP implementation to participate in such interoperability
MV> tests.

Net-SNMP has patches to implement RFC-7860, and it will appear in the next
release (5.8). We have done interoperability testing with one other vendor,
and welcome others. Anyone wanting to do interoperability testing with
Net-SNMP, contact me off-list and we can set something up.

Robert

---

From: Matjaz Vrecko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 18:57:04 +0200

Thank you for the response, Robert!

We will contact you once we will be ready to check
interoperability for the RFC7860 enhancements in
our SNMP stack.

Best regards for now,

Matjaz

---

From: Johannes Merkle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 15:18:56 +0200

Hi Matjaz,

others on this list have more insight in the availability and interoperability of implementations, and Robert has
already provided some information. If and when the WG decides that it is time to proceed the RFC to maturity level
Internet Standard we would be happy to cooperate.

Best regards,
Johannes