Subject: Protocol Action: The OSPF Opaque LSA Option to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 16:38:43 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'The OSPF Opaque LSA Option'
<draft-ietf-ospf-opaque-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group.  The
IESG contact person is Rob Coltun.

Technical Summary
 
 This extension to the OSPF protocol provides a mechanism to add new
 information into the protocol.  It provides for information of link,
 Area, or Domain significance.  This is a general tool which has been 
 found to be very helpful in adding capabilities to the OSPF routing 
 system.  In particular, it can flood extra information of signficance 
 to the routers without disrupting the deployed infrastructure, merely 
 evolving it.

Working Group Summary

 The working group strongly supports this protocol extension.

Protocol Quality

 This specification was reviewed for the IESG by Joel M. Halpern, and is
 a sound implementable specification of an extension to OSPF.  There are
 a few implementations in progress.