Subject: Protocol Action: OSPF Version 2 to Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 06:58:20 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "OSPF Version 2"
  <draft-ietf-ospf-vers2-02.txt> as a Standard. To accompany this,
  the IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "OSPF Standardization Report"
  <draft-ietf-ospf-stdreport-03.tx> as an informational RFC.
  These documents are the product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP
  Working Group. The IESG contact person is Joel Halpern.

Technical Summary

 OSPF is the IETF recommended IGP routing protocol.  It is used extremely
 widelty, and has been used for a number of years.  It is a technically
 sound link state routing protocol designed for use in networks of a
 single administrative domain.  Subject to that limit, it has been found
 useful for very small networks and extremely large ones.

Working Group Summary

 The working group strongly supports the advancement of this protocol to
 full standard.

Protocol Quality

 The protocol specification was reviewed for the IESG by Joel M. Halpern.
 There are at least two interoperable implementations of every feature,
 and there are many independent implementations of the protocol.  The
 protocol is of a suitable quality for a full standard of the IETF.