Subject: Re: Possible optimization to Hitless Restart draft

From: "Naidu, Venkata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:38:16 -0400

Mark,

[clipped]
-> We were wondering whether it is necessary to store the
-> length of the grace period before restarting. Instead,
-> our idea is that the restarting router
-> discovers the grace period it requested from the grace LSAs
-> it originated prior to the hitless restart and which it
-> will receive during hitless restart (from its neighbors).

  You logic might work well. I would say, it is always
  better to trust your own machine timing than your
  neighbors. If you are going to derive the remaining time
  from old instances of Grate LSA then:

  - What if you get different Ages set from different neighbors
  - Which Grate LSA timing you prefer (first one, last one,
    least timed one, highest timed one)

  So, IMHO, better store the time (absolute/relative) in
  non-volatile storage and do the necessary timing computation.

--
Venkata Naidu