Subject: Restart signaling, DR/BDR, and RouterDeadInterval

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:32:21 -0700

OSPF Restart Signaling.. Feb01 to Sept01

Hi Group,

        I didn't see if this became a standard, so
        this clarification / question could be moot..

        Just thinking of the proper way to code
        this..

        I assume that if a hello is recieved from
        a restart router within the RouterDeadInterval
        timeframe, then there is significantly less
        work... There was no intervening teardown..

        However, what is not mentioned, and I want to
        clarify this..

        Assume both routers support Restart..
        If the restarting router was the DR or the BDR,
        there is no assumption that if the restart was
        done WITHIN the RouterDeadInterval timeframe,
        the adjacency is still up, that a restarting
        router would stay the BDR or DR...

        Assume both routers support restart..
        Else, NOT WITHIN the RouterDeadInterval timeframe.
        We have to assume that there was a intervening
        election. Would we do another election?

        There is no mention of election effects / side-effects
        with respect to the restarting router, when all or
        some routers support restart? The non-restart supported
        routers would force a re-election.

        Thanks,
                Mitchell Erblich

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:36:55 -0400

Michelle, Manral,

There are two hitless restart drafts. Although I was not at
the specific meeting, the one below is the one that was accepted
by the OSPF work group.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-02.txt

IMHO, it does address your questions although there is
currently no provision for a restart that doesn't proceed within
the router dead interval. We are considering this for our
implementation.

--
Acee

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:39:53 -0700

Hi,

        Thanks for the pointer..

        I actually already looked at a Hitless Restart 02.. by
        Moy Feb 02 to Aug 02 and wanted to see if there was
        any feedback before I suggested or commented on it. :-).

        Since, I have a few issues that I would like to clarify,
        I will send a separate email identifying the items..

        Mitchell Erblich
        -----------------------------