Subject: Dynamic Priority setting for DR election

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 16:01:27 -0700

Hi Group,

        Has anyone heard of a router's priority selection based
        based on incoming values of the hello packet's priority
        field?

        Would their be an experimental draft during the past
        years that explictly or implicitly state this type
        of feature?

        Basicly

        0) Assuming that a DR and BDR were not already
           elected.

        1) delaying hello xmits during bootup for
           a period not to exceed or equal waittime,

        2) Identifing a max of the priorities per
           DR capable interface,

        3) Then transmitting hello packets with a higher
          priority than the calculated max and dynamically
          setting that value..

        This would make it the DR, unless another
        router's priority was set to the max..

        Yes, I believe this would be a non-standard functionality,
        and should require the formal setting of a CLI command
        to enable this type of feature.

        And yes, their could be issues with two or more
        routers configured this way.

        Mitchell Erblich