Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:29:22 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Hitless OSPF Restart
        Author(s)       : J. Moy et al.
        Filename        : draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-03.txt
        Pages           : 13
        Date            : 2002-10-24

This memo documents an enhancement to the OSPF routing protocol,
whereby an OSPF router can stay on the forwarding path even as its
OSPF software is restarted. This is called 'hitless restart' or
'non-stop forwarding'. A restarting router may not be capable of
adjusting its forwarding in a timely manner when the network
topology changes. In order to avoid the possible resulting routing
loops the procedure in this memo automatically reverts to a normal
OSPF restart when such a topology change is detected, or when one or
more of the restarting router's neighbors do not support the
enhancements in this memo. Proper network operation during a hitless
restart makes assumptions upon the operating environment of the
restarting router; these assumptions are also documented.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-hitless-restart-03.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.