Subject: re-using the same sub-area number

From: "Field, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:48:25 -0600

Is there any issue from an OSPF protocol perspective with re-using
a sub-area number multiple times?

In the design I'm looking at, each physical location is connected
to area 0 via one or more ABRs.  I've got lots of different
physical locations, and in order to simplify configs, tools,
and operations, would like to avoid having to track a different
sub-area number for each location.

Any issue with this from an OSPF perspective?

Other reasons not to do this?

If it makes a difference, the sub-area would likely be configured
as NSSAs.

Apologies is this sort of question is outside the scope of the
list.  If so, let me know.

Thanks
Brian

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:35:13 -0400

> Any issue with this from an OSPF perspective?

Brian,

The routing should work since OSPF will repair partitioned non-backbone
areas over the backbone. However, I disagree with your premise
that this will simplify things. You're giving up your ability to
debug and manage each area separately just to avoid unique area
specification. It doesn't sound like a very good trade-off to me.

Thanks,
Acee

--
Acee