Subject: Fw: Gating for MaxAge LSA in ospfv3

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:46:29 +0530

I'm sorry .. i had not completed this mail and i pressed the send button by
mistake.

> We can definitely benefit from originating MaxAge LSA without waiting for
> the MinLSInterval.
>
> Following are some scenarios when this might be useful.
>
> 1> A router that was formerly a DR for a network, but is now no longer,
> needs to flush the network-LSA that it had previously originated.  I see
no
> point in waiting for MinLSInterval.
>
> 2> If a router is advertising a summary-LSA/AS-External LSA for a
> destination which becomes unreachable, it needs to flush that LSA from
the
> routing domain by setting its age to MaxAge and reflooding. Why should I
> wait for 5 secs to do that?

Moreover - this is the kind of trend is followed in BGP too. We wait for
some time before advertising our UPDATEs (reachability information) for
better packing and stability issues. But we dont wait for that long before
advertising our WITHDRAW messages.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Manav