Subject: Summary-LSA section 12.4.3 of RFC2328

From: Katrien Scharre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:53:21 -0400

In section 12.4.3 of the rfc, i would like to refer to bullet 7 : 'Else, the
Destination type is network. If this is an inter-area route, .... '

In this section, nothing is mentioned on condensation of the information by
means of the configured list of address ranges like described under bullet8.

Is this explicilty forbidden or do there exists some routers which handles
inter-area and intra-area routes like described in bullet 8 ?

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:48:30 -0400

> means of the configured list of address ranges like described under bullet8.

Address ranges are for condensing intra-area routes which are advertised by an
ABR into other areas. They do not apply to the advertisement of inter-area
routes into attached areas.

> inter-area and intra-area routes like described in bullet 8 ?

In answer to your questions, I don't know of any OSPF implementation that
provides a proprietary mechanism to condense type 3 LSAs using a range-like
configuration. There are implementations that allow type 3 LSAs to filtered
filtered when advertised into an area. I'm not a big fan of these since
I really think the mechanisms provided by the protocol are enough and
their use limits interoperability between ABRs.

--
Acee