Subject: Re: How to partition a routing domain into areas in the first pla ce?

From: "Liu B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:25:45 +0100

Dear Manav,

Thanks for your information. I've found that book in Amazon, which costs
about £43, a bit too much to a student :-( I've done the search in
IEEEXplore by the authors, but no lucky so far :-(( Is there any paper you
would like to recomment about how to design the hierrarchy (i.e., how to
divide the network into areas), especially for large-scale networks?

Thank you very much, as well as other people's information in advance.

Bin Liu 

-----Original Message-----
From: Manav Bhatia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 4:43 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: How to partition a routing domain into areas in the first
place?

Liu,
OSPF has 2 level hierarchy (core and areas hanging off the core) while the
networks have 3 level (core, distribution and access) so there can be some
confusion in mapping OSPF onto real live networks.

There is this book "Advanced IP Network Design" by Alvaro Retana, Don Slice
and Russ White (ISBN 1-57870-097-3 - Cisco Press) which discusses OSPF
Network Design in some detail by considering ways to divide the network
into areas, points where summarization can be done, issues with dial backup
and ways to handle dial-in-clients/external connections to the network,
etc.

It may help you in clarifying some of your doubts.

Regards,
Manav

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liu B." <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 7:18 PM
Subject: How to partition a routing domain into areas in the first place?

> Hi,
>
> Understanding that the area routing is used in OSPF for better routing
> performance (e.g., reduce routing cost). But given a large-scale network,
> how to do partitioning according to the topology of network in the first
> place? As the topology of most part of the Internet is irregular or mesh,
my
> question, more specifically, is -- how to do partitioning in a given
> large-scale mesh network?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer, reference or thought.
>
> Bin