Subject: Re: Link TLV's sub-TLVs

From: "Naidu, Venkata" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:50:56 -0400

Kunihiro,

-> IPv6 sub-TLVs
-> =============
-> 17 - Neighbor ID (8 octets)
-> 18 - Local Interface IPv6 Address (16N octets)
-> 19 - Remote Interface IPv6 Address (16N octets)

  One suggestion - draft-ishiguro-ospf-ospfv3-traffic-01.txt reads:

--
   3.2 Neighbor ID

     In OSPFv2, Link ID is a unique key to identify the other end of the
     link.  In OSPFv3 to identify the other end of the link, the combina-
     tion of Neighbor Interface ID and Neighbor Router ID is needed.  So
     new sub-TLV Neighbor ID is defined.

     The Neighbor ID sub-TLV is TLV type 17, and is 8 octets in length.
     It contains 4 octet Neighbor Interface ID and 4 octet Neighbor Router
     ID.  Neighbor Interface ID and Neighbor Router ID value is as same as
     described in [OSPFV3] A.4.3 Router-LSAs.

     In OSPFv2, the Neighbor ID sub-TLV should not be sent and ignored
     upon receipt.
--

  1. Is it possible for you to change sub-TLV 17 to "Neighbor
     Interface ID (4 octets)" instead of "Neighbor ID (8 octets)" ?
     Because, Neighbor Router ID is anyway available in other sub-TLVs.

  2. If there is a strong reason to duplicate "Neighbor Router ID" for
     IPv6 then it is OK. But, please specify the order in which these
     IDs encoding/decoding interpretation. That is, in the 8 Octets,
     "Neighbor Router ID" occupies the first 4 octets or "Neighbor
     Interface ID" ?

  Thank you.

--
Venkata.

---

From: Kunihiro Ishiguro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 15:39:47 -0700

>     Because, Neighbor Router ID is anyway available in other sub-TLVs.

Do you mean Link ID sub-TLV?

>     "Neighbor Router ID" occupies the first 4 octets or "Neighbor

Thanks.  I'll specify it.  Neighbor Interface ID is first.  My draft
reuse OSPFv3 mechanism to detect the neighbor or the link.  Neighbor
ID TLV has same format and same value of OSPFv3 Router-LSA.

RFC2740 A.4.3 Router-LSAs
=========================
    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |           LS age             |0|0|1|          1               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                       Link State ID                           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                    Advertising Router                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                    LS sequence number                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |        LS checksum           |             length             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |    0  |W|V|E|B|            Options                            |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |       0       |          Metric               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      Interface ID                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
==>|                   Neighbor Interface ID                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
==>|                    Neighbor Router ID                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                             ...                               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |       0       |          Metric               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      Interface ID                             |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
==>|                   Neighbor Interface ID                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
==>|                    Neighbor Router ID                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                             ...                               |