Subject: Re: How to partition a routing domain into areas in the first place?

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:37:39 +0530

Liu,
Are you looking into
- ways to divide areas at the core/distribution boundary
- doing summarizations at core (i dont recommend that)
- ways to reduce flooding in an area caused by dial-in users
- etc.

You could either put your core routers as ABRs or your distribution layer
routers as ABRs. There are advantages and disadvantages in both of these
techniques.

Can you tell me as to what exactly is that you want to know?

Lets not spam this mailing list. You can mail me offline.

Regards,
Manav

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liu B." <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: How to partition a routing domain into areas in the first pla
ce?

Dear Manav,

Thanks for your information. I've found that book in Amazon, which costs
about £43, a bit too much to a student :-( I've done the search in
IEEEXplore by the authors, but no lucky so far :-(( Is there any paper you
would like to recomment about how to design the hierrarchy (i.e., how to
divide the network into areas), especially for large-scale networks?

Thank you very much, as well as other people's information in advance.

Bin Liu

-----Original Message-----
From: Manav Bhatia [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 4:43 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: How to partition a routing domain into areas in the first
place?

Liu,
OSPF has 2 level hierarchy (core and areas hanging off the core) while the
networks have 3 level (core, distribution and access) so there can be some
confusion in mapping OSPF onto real live networks.

There is this book "Advanced IP Network Design" by Alvaro Retana, Don Slice
and Russ White (ISBN 1-57870-097-3 - Cisco Press) which discusses OSPF
Network Design in some detail by considering ways to divide the network
into areas, points where summarization can be done, issues with dial backup
and ways to handle dial-in-clients/external connections to the network,
etc.

It may help you in clarifying some of your doubts.

Regards,
Manav

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liu B." <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 7:18 PM
Subject: How to partition a routing domain into areas in the first place?

> Hi,
>
> Understanding that the area routing is used in OSPF for better routing
> performance (e.g., reduce routing cost). But given a large-scale network,
> how to do partitioning according to the topology of network in the first
> place? As the topology of most part of the Internet is irregular or mesh,
my
> question, more specifically, is -- how to do partitioning in a given
> large-scale mesh network?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer, reference or thought.
>
> Bin

--
Never argue with idiots.
They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.