From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 05:31:26 -0500

Hi Anju,

1) Well, if you want to reduce the size of the database in an Area, you
could configure the area as either Stub or NSSA.
You  can check the draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-nssa-update-11.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-nssa-update-11.txt>
and RFC2328 for details.

Besides in OSPF there is a technique called DBOverflow, that allows handling
of unanticipated database overflows - RFC1765.

2) You may like to see the flooding procedure Section 13, and section 10.3
neighbor state machine. The basic idea is that a DR/BDR is elected for each
broadcast link, and non-DR routers form adjacencies with only DR/BDR. The
DR-other sends LSUpdate packets to the address ALLDRRouters and DR/BDr send
to ALLSPF routers.

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Anju Patel [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2002 7:55 AM
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject:

hi

I have couple of questions about ospf

1) what are the methods to reduce size of the LSP database in OSPF or IS-IS?

2) For OSPF routers that are connected to a multiple access medium- what is
the method used to exchange the LSP-DB?

3) How does one connect an OSPF area that does not have a link to Area0?

4) what are the primary differences between RIP and OSPF?

Thanks.