Subject: Router link origination when interface is up

From: Rajesh G <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:57:59 -0000

Hi,

       When ospf is enabled on an interface in which we already
have valid DR and BDR for the network, we face the following
problem. As soon as the interface comes up a router LSA is
generated stating the network as stub (as we don't have knowledge
about other routers in the n/w). After some time we get a hello
packet from a neighbor giving us the DR and BDR for the n/w which
we accept. Here we do not re-build our own router LSA. Even if we
run the DR election and dont find any change in the DR status, we
still don't rebuild our router LSA. So we advertise the n/w as
stub link, till the refresh interval.

      What could be the possible solution to avoid this problem.
My guess is that we should not originate our router LSA till we
are sure about the nature of the network (either our wait timer
expires or we get a Hello with a valid DR and BDR on the n/w). Is
this correct? please give your inputs.

TIA,

Rajesh

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:26:44 -0500

> this correct? please give your inputs.

Rajesh - don't delay origination. You should re-originate your
router LSA when you go to FULL state with the DR. Look at section
12.4 in RFC 2328.

--
Acee