Subject: draft-ietf-bmwg-ospfconv-term-01.txt

From: Tom Petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:22:06 -0000

I believe that the terminology used in this document does not reflect
current OSPF practice.

A Broadcast Link is defined as

              Networks supporting many (more than two) attached
routers,
              together with the capability to address a single
physical
              message to all of the attached routers (broadcast). In
the
              context of [2] and [3], broadcast links are taken as
those
              on which a designated router is elected.

In practice, put together any pair of routers on a LAN (with broadcast
capability) and I expect to see a DR elected with its concomitant
Network LSA.  I appreciate that the wording comes from RFC2328 but
that document does later contradict itself with a reference to a DR
being elected on any broadcast or NBMA network with at least two
routers (ie two does quallify).

And for Hello Interval

              ... The
              typical hello interval is 10 seconds on broadcast net-
              works, and 30 seconds for point-to-multipoint and point-
              to-point networks.

RFC2328 suggests 10 second for LANs (broadcast or not) with 30 second
for X.25; taking X.25 as the paradign for WAN, this what I see.

I cross-post this to the OSPF list since this may provoke different
opinions.

Tom Petch
[email-masked]